Landgraviate sentence example
- Hesse-Nassau was formed in 1867-1868 out of the territories which accrued to Prussia after the war of 1866, namely, the landgraviate of Hesse-Cassel and the duchy of Nassau, in addition to the greater part of the territory of Frankfort-on-Main, parts of the grand-duchy of Hesse, the territory of Homburg and the countship of HesseHomburg, together with certain small districts which belonged to Bavaria.
- During the 18th century the War of the Austrian Succession and the Seven Years' War dealt heavy blows at the prosperity of the landgraviate, which was always loyal to the house of Austria.
- The small landgraviate of Hesse-Homburg was formed in 1622 from Hesse-Darmstadt.
- HesseHomburg was formed into a separate landgraviate in 1622 by Frederick I.
- It was till 1866 a landgraviate and electorate of Germany, consisting of several detached masses of territory, to the N.E.Advertisement
- On his father's death in 1567 he received one half of Hesse, with Cassel as his capital; and this formed the landgraviate of HesseCassel.
- Frederick I., the next landgrave (1730-1751), had become by marriage king of Sweden, and on his death was succeeded in the landgraviate by his brother William VIII.
- By Christina he had four sons and five daughters, and according to his directions the landgraviate was partitioned at his death between his sons.
- In 1469 the archduke of Austria, Sigismund, had sold him the county of Ferrette, and the landgraviate of Alsace and some other towns, reserving to himself the right to repurchase.
- As the capital of the former landgraviate of Hesse-Homburg, the town shared the vicissitudes of that state.Advertisement