Land-masses sentence example
- Between these ancient land masses lies an area in which marine deposits of Mesozoic age are well developed and which was evidently beneath the sea during the greater part of the Mesozoic era.
- The fringing or partially enclosed seas adjoin the great land masses and are only separated from the oceans by islands or peninsulas.
- But these two land-masses were not connected.
- The four fringing seas of eastern Asia, those of Bering, Okhotsk, Japan and East China, are arranged parallel to the main lines of dislocation in the neighbouring land-masses, and so are the Andaman Sea and the Gulf of California.
- We are thus working out gradually the separate contributions of the land masses of North America, South America, Europe, Asia, Africa, and of Australia to the mammalian fauna of the world, a result which can be obtained through palaeontology only.Advertisement
- Between these land masses lay a great Mediterranean sea - the " Tethys " of Suess.
- Up to the close of the palaeozoic period the relative positions of the ancient land masses and oceans remain unsolved; but the absence of marine strata of early palaeozoic age from Central Africa points to there being land in this direction.
- The range of this genus is therefore naturally wider than that of other genera which are confined to land masses and cannot cross the sea by their own efforts.
- During the colder phases, large ice sheets formed over the northern hemisphere land masses.
- The hydrosphere covers nearly threequarters of the earth's surface as a single and continuous expanse of water surrounding four great insular land-masses known as the continents of the Old World (Europe, Asia, Africa), America, Australia and Antarctica.Advertisement
- Fashioned in white, her painted-on swimsuit featured a very realistic-looking world map with orange and yellow continents, plus nautical symbols added in detail around the land masses.