She went to the edge of the lake and peered into it.
She went to the edge of the lake and peered into it.
Sometimes even she had put one in her pocket and forgotten to drop it in the lake for weeks.
She touched the water of the lake and groaned.
The lake glowed like it was radioactive.
"She thinks the Lake of Souls cracked the same way the sky did," Cora said in excitement.
The bottom of the lake glowed with souls.
"Drop them at the lake and hang out for a bit," Gabriel said.
The lake was placid.
What if the lake cracked, too, and the souls went the other way, out of the underworld and into the mortal realm?
It was a lake of rainbow light, in which, for a short while, I lived like a dolphin.
"There are no currents in the Lake of Souls," she told Cora.
And the Lake of Souls?
She stopped a dozen meters before the edge of the forest, wondering if there was any sort of hazard in being so close to whatever it was causing the lake to be green in the first place.
She stopped a dozen meters before the edge of the forest, wondering if there was any sort of hazard in being so close to whatever it was causing the lake to be green in the first place.
Lake water seeped through his clothing.
The Lake of Souls in her underworld was always still.
The Lake of Souls in her underworld was always still.
She didn't understand what her instincts were trying to tell her, but right now, they wanted her to climb a tree to see the lake from above.
More gems swirled in the lake, seemingly at random.
Gabriel reached the end of the assassins and turned to gaze at the lake with its souls.
In the meantime, the lost souls were stuck in a lake in the mortal world.
Lake of Souls bubbling.
You're saying there are fifty cracks in the Lake of Souls?
Gabriel didn't say what he thought, that she might've been better off in the Lake of Souls than with Darkyn.
Gabriel didn't say what he thought, that she might've been better off in the Lake of Souls than with Darkyn.
A gem bubbled to the top of the lake then dropped down, rejoining the rest of them beneath the surface.
I have some horses you can ride and there are several creeks, ponds and even a small lake on the land.
Thinking of taking a dive in the lake and not surfacing again, except that it meant she'd lose her soul.
When you left, the demons were pouring in, the Lake of Souls was bubbling and everything else was falling apart.
The movements seemed to start there, circle around the lake then drop, as if there was an invisible wall.
Deidre strode to the edge of the lake again.
Or cast myself into the Lake of Souls.
She nodded and swallowed then motioned him away from the lake, towards the trees.
The massive lake was roughly round with a panhandle on the side nearest the fortress.
The Lake of Souls is much larger than any lake on the mortal world.
She tasted slightly sweet, the heat of her mouth contrasting with the chill of her skin, and smelled of lake water.
This is my lake country.
Most of them rested in piles at the bottom of the lake while some floated in the water.
The panhandle fed into the roughly circular main body of the lake, and she paused.
Deidre was breathless and upbeat when the lake came into view over an hour later.
Gabriel was halfway to the lake when Darkyn spoke to him.
Their house stands near a charming lake where we went boating and canoeing, which was great fun.
The forest has never so good a setting, nor is so distinctly beautiful, as when seen from the middle of a small lake amid hills which rise from the water's edge; for the water in which it is reflected not only makes the best foreground in such a case, but, with its winding shore, the most natural and agreeable boundary to it.
What company has that lonely lake, I pray?
Gabriel trotted first to the lake, curious to see how last night had gone now that they knew about the tears.
Even the lake wasn't calming him.
She moved once more to the edge of the lake and stared at the souls.
He stopped beside her, gaze on the lake that glowed green in the quiet night.
She moved once more to the edge of the lake and stared at the souls.
The gravel road led past a small subdivision, then a few individual houses and small but beautiful Lake Lenoir, before climbing into the open and leading to a beautiful panorama of the Uncompahgre Valley and the snow-capped mountains to the west.
"I'll check in with the lake," Landon muttered.
These are the lips of the lake, on which no beard grows.
When the Lake has subsided, I will throw myself in.
He went to the lake and the souls, the only place that seemed to calm him.
She couldn't see the far end of the lake from her viewpoint, but she was able to see across the narrow panhandle.
It was a short distance from Surry Mountain Lake and park, and about seven mile from our recently established office in town.
Lake Erie sits north of Ohio for a long stretch so to get into Canada going east; he'd enter in New York State, around Niagara Falls.
A lake is the landscape's most beautiful and expressive feature.
Nothing so fair, so pure, and at the same time so large, as a lake, perchance, lies on the surface of the earth.
Flint's, or Sandy Pond, in Lincoln, our greatest lake and inland sea, lies about a mile east of Walden.
Perhaps it might be called Yellow Pine Lake, from the following circumstance.
The goal of our offered summer sojourn was described as a seasonal cabin on a small lake in near Wolfboro, New Hampshire.
Across the lake, the beginning glow of from the late summer sun broke through the low clouds, signaling an end to the rain.
Howie located a Salt Lake City missing girl of twelve, hidden in the loving care of a distant aunt.
He emerged beside the lake, where two death dealers stood over Cora.
She was a few feet into the lake, coughing and sputtering.
He went to the lake near Rhyn's.
If he was a sentry guarding the lake, he'd deemed her not a threat.
If he was a sentry guarding the lake, he'd deemed her not a threat.
At intervals the trees lost their icy covering, and the bulrushes and underbrush were bare; but the lake lay frozen and hard beneath the sun.
In places the shore of the lake rises abruptly from the water's edge.
Every morning, before lesson-time, we all go out to the steep hill on the northern shore of the lake near the house, and coast for an hour or so.
It is almost no effort for me to row around the lake, no matter how heavy the load may be.
A lake like this is never smoother than at such a time; and the clear portion of the air above it being, shallow and darkened by clouds, the water, full of light and reflections, becomes a lower heaven itself so much the more important.
Probably to be thrown into a lake of fire.
Plunging through drifts, leaping hollows, swooping down upon the lake, we would shoot across its gleaming surface to the opposite bank.
Bowing to Quinn's and Martha's suggestions, the sunny morning was spent huddled together in a 1964 fourteen foot Starcraft, spinning around the lake.
He later reported Cooms lived in a large estate house overlooking a lake.
Gabriel withdrew and called a portal to take him to the lake.
"Did you find out who it belonged to, Landon?" he asked as he emerged onto the bank beside the eerily glowing lake.
Gabriel tossed it into the lake.
Instead, she concentrated on figuring out what knowledge she could about the souls in the lake.
"There are so many," she murmured, dismayed by the green glow over the lake.
Deidre looped her arm through branches and leaned out as far as she could to see the lake.
They moved like pinwheels around the mound of souls in the center of the lake.
The starting point was on the near side of the lake.
Any idea why the currents run the direction they do in the lake?
Did you notice the currents in the lake?
There's no river feeding into this lake.
This way, around the center of the lake.
Cora stared at her then out at the lake.
Cora's eyes were on the lake.
Tying her hair back, she pulled off her socks, took a deep breath and dove into the frigid lake.
Gabriel glanced out over the lake.
His gaze followed it to the water, where it disappeared into the lake.
She noticed the currents then climbed a tree and said they were moving in a pattern around the lake.
Gabriel crouched near the edge of the lake.
Suddenly, he thought that she had never looked as beautiful as she did standing drenched and shivering beside the lake.
He glanced around the lake.
Unable to function from shock, he sat down on a rock overlooking the lake.
His eyes settled on the lake.
I'll take these to the lake.
Gabriel summoned a portal and emerged at the lake.
"The Lake's at capacity," he replied.
Rhyn asked, peering into the lake.
Rhyn lifted his chin to the far side of the lake.
Want me to drain the lake?
"C'mere, Harmony," Gabe said, using his magic to project the quiet order across the lake.
They stood in silence for a moment, eyes on the eerie lake.
Wynn's gaze was on the figures across the lake, his impassive features bathed in green light.
"I thought…" He considered her then looked across the lake again.
What brings you to the lake?
Furious, confused, she peered into the lake waters.
The bottom of the lake was lined with green gems, the source of the strange light.
"Wow," she murmured, gazing out over the lake.
How many emeralds did it take to fill a lake this size?
Some of the gems had been carried by gentle waves to the edges of the lake and deposited away from the bulk of the jewels.
The lake water was freezing.
Her eyes went over the lake again.
What were they doing in a lake?
You issue me an ultimatum I can't live with and then make out with some lady at the lake.
Gabe left him for the lake near Rhyn's.
Reaching the lake, he tossed the souls he'd recovered from the demons into it and lingered.
Mind on Deidre and the fact he still didn't know how to undo what Wynn had done, Gabe went onto the next death-dealer at the lake then the next.
"Harmony, pull in all the death-dealers to the lake in an hour," Gabe whispered the order.
Gabriel returned to the lake.
He swam deeper into the lake.
He snatched the soul and shoved off from the bottom of the lake, kicking upwards.
All five of the death dealers on guard had drawn near the lake.
Green power flowed from the souls in the lake, through him and into the gem.
The lake blinked out for a second, the light gone completely, then blinked back on, this time much, much dimmer.
Gabriel's gaze went to the lake.
Rhyn, can you drop by the lake and bring a couple sets of clothes?
So you're a lost soul, too, like the rest of the lake and me.
It's like someone dropped a stone in the lake.
He pushed the thought away and took a portal to the lake near the Immortals' fortress.
With Deidre in his arms and the souls in the otherworldly lake where they belonged.
To her surprise, moonlight glinted off the water of the newly formed lake that filled the canyon.
Fountains shot up from the newly formed lake nearby, and the ground rumbled again.
"I know it," she said, recalling the rustic mansion nestled among pine trees next to a lake.
Her thoughts turned to the mansion on the lake and to the idea of spending her life there with Brady.
They reached the ranch beside the lake, and her spirits lifted.
The helo flew over Tim's ranch and mansion, perched on a lake.
Dan bypassed the mansion and led him towards the lake, where two forms stood on a large dock.
She makes whatever she wants out of them. Most of them go in the bottom of the Lake of Souls, where they can find their loved ones and be in peace.
The idea of emeralds swimming around in a lake was too much for Katie. She felt nauseous again at her overwhelming situation and stopped, leaning against a tree. What she would give for a sip of real water!
The sounds of fighting grew faint and then disappeared. The stream wound through the jungle until it reached a small waterfall that fed into a massive lake whose black surface reflected the stars and moon. Katie slid down the hill beside the waterfall to the lake's edge, uncertain what to do. Gabriel hadn't mentioned the stream ending or the lake.
She turned to see him motion her towards the jungle surrounding the lake. His clothing was torn, and blood stained his skin. He appeared to have been running; his boots were covered in mud that had splashed to his thighs, and his face was flushed.
The specter pointed back towards the lake. Katie slowed and watched Gabriel continue onward. She'd liked Andre above any of the Council members, but his insistence that she go in the direction opposite of which she was headed puzzled her.
"We're going towards the lake," she said.
"This stream leads to the Lake of Souls then beyond to Death's fortress," Gabe said and stood.
I told her to keep to the stream. The demon probably picked her up between here and the Lake.
Finally, he broke through the thatch of branches and leaves blocking most of the sun. The day was darkening. In the distance, he saw the massive fortress that was Death's, and he saw the Lake of Souls he'd seen in angel memories. He saw birds but couldn't see through the jungle to where Katie might be. The branch holding him swayed in a heavy wind that smelled of rain.
"You're all the family I got now. I got a long way to go to figure out how to be a proper Death," Gabe said, looking again at the lake.
"I'd like that. I have to fix this first," Gabe said and motioned to the Lake.
Gabe stepped closer to the Lake. Even through the black water, he could see the green souls at the bottom.
Darian found a summer cabin beside a lake in a small logging town near the Black God's hideout.
of Lake Tsana, unites its waters with a number of other rivers which also rise in the Abyssinian highlands, and flows north-west Boo m.
HERNICI, an ancient people of Italy, whose territory was in Latium between the Fucine Lake and the Trerus, bounded b'y the Volscian on the S., and by the Aequian and the Marsian on the N.
It rises at an elevation of 7800 ft., in a small lake under the Piz Longhino, in the Swiss canton of the Grisons.
LOCH ERICHT, a lake partly in Inverness-shire and partly in Perthshire, Scotland, lying between the districts of Badenoch on the N.
All of the lake to the S.
It is a lonely lake, situated in extremely wild surroundings at a height of 1153 ft.
above the sea, being thus the loftiest lake of large size in the United Kingdom.
LEON, the capital of the department of Leon, Nicaragua, an episcopal see, and the largest city in the republic, situated midway between Lake Managua and the Pacific Ocean, 50 m.
The city of Leon, founded by Francisco Hernandez de Cordova in 1523, was originally situated at the head of the western bay of Lake Managua, and was not removed to its present position till 1610.
He took the command at Sackett's Harbor on Lake Ontario in October 1812.
He was described as chasing the British squadron all round the lake, but his encounters did not go beyond artillery duels at long range, and he allowed his enemy to continue in existence long after he might have been destroyed.
When the cruising season of the lake was nearly over he in his turn retired to Sackett's Harbor, and did not leave it for the rest of the war.
Stavanger commands a considerable tourist traffic. It is the starting-point of a favourite tour, embracing the fine valley of the Sand River, the great Lake Suldal and the Bratlandsdal.
LOCH AWE, the longest freshwater lake in Scotland, situated in mid-Argyllshire, 116 ft.
at its upper end, where it takes the shape of a crescent, one arm of which runs towards Glen Orchy, the other to the point where the river Awe leaves the lake.
At the extreme north-eastern end of the lake, on an islet which, when the water is low, becomes part of the mainland, stand the imposing ruins of Kilchurn Castle.
Williams was killed in the battle of Lake George on the 8th of September 1 755, but while in camp in Albany, New York, a few days before the battle, he drew a will containing a small bequest for a free school at West Hoosac on condition that the township when incorporated should be called Williamstown.
Bay City is served by the Michigan Central, the Pere Marquette, the Grand Trunk and the Detroit & Mackinac railways, and by lake steamers.
end of Seneca Lake, about 52 m.
The Golden Temple is so called on account of its copper dome, covered with gold foil, which shines brilliantly in the rays of the Indian sun, and is reflected back from the waters of the lake; but the building as a whole is too squat to have much architectural merit apart from its ornamentation.
Callander owes much of its prosperity to the fact that it is the centre from which the Trossachs is usually visited, the route being that described in Scott's Lady of the Lake.
It is a well-to-do place, beautifully situated near the Lake of Varese, and for this reason a favourite summer and autumn resort of the Milanese, who have numerous country houses in the vicinity.
There is an archaeological museum with prehistoric antiquities from the lake-dwellings on an island in the Lake of Varese.
of Lake Geuljik (Colchis of the ancients), at an altitude of 5050 ft., some 2 or 3 m.
to the west of Lake Van, and close to the headwaters of the Murad Su, the eastern branch of the Euphrates, while the most easterly point is situated in a region about 42° 50' E., southward of the same lake.
The palace of the khan, with its gardens and lake, itself formed an inner enclosure fronting the south.
side of Lake Baikal, in 54° 10' N.
The most important educational institutions are the Birmingham medical college and college of pharmacy; the Birmingham dental college; a school of art and a conservatory of music. At East Lake station, in the north-east of the city, is Howard College (Baptist; founded at Marion, Perry county, in 1841 as an academy; granted first collegiate degrees in 1848; opened in East Lake in 1887); and 2 m.
A proposal to confine the Drin to its former course by means of a dyke, and to ease the downflow of the Boyana by a canal opening navigation to Lake Scutari, has long been considered by the Turkish authorities.
The lake of Butrinto (Buthrotum) is near the sea-coast opposite Corfu.
seraga), a kind of sardine, is taken in great quantities in Lake Scutari; it is salted and smoked for home consumption and exportation.
There are several interesting limestone caverns, and Sylvan Lake, in the high mountain district, is an important resort.
The name Manitoba sprang from the union of two Indian words, Manito (the Great Spirit), and Waba (the " narrows " of the lake, which may readily be seen on the map).
The chief rivers emptying into Lake Winnipeg are the Winnipeg, the Red and the Saskatchewan.
The Winnipeg, which flows from the territory lying south-east of Lake Winnipeg, is a noble river some 200 m.
long, which after leaving Lake of the Woods dashes with its clear water over many cascades, and traverses very beautiful scenery.
At its falls from Lake of the Woods is one of the greatest and most easily utilized water-powers in the world, and from falls lower down the river electric power for the city of Winnipeg is obtained.
The Saskatchewan, though not in the province, empties into Lake Winnipeg less than half a degree from the northern boundary.
Steamers run from Grand Rapids, through Lake Winnipeg, up Red river to the city of Winnipeg, important locks having been constructed on the river at St Andrews.
The region of the Red River and Assiniboine valleys was opened up by the fur traders, who came by the waterways from Lake Superior, and afterwards by the water communication with Hudson Bay.
Lake Manitoba also affords opportunity for inland shipping.
This railway has six radiating lines leaving the city of Winnipeg, and its main line connects Port Arthur on Lake Superior with Edmonton in the west.
1749), who, gradually pushing westward from Lake Superior, reached Lake Winnipeg in 1733, and in the following year built a fort not far from the present Fort Alexander.
The rebellion was quieted and Sir Garnet Wolseley (now Lord Wolseley) was sent from Canada by the lake route, with several regiments of troops - regulars and volunteers.
Animals, hitherto unknown to the Romans, were exhibited in the circus, and an artificial lake (eunipus) was made for the reception of crocodiles and hippopotamuses.
It lies on either side of the formerly natural, now artificial outlet of the river Waveney to the North Sea, while to the west the river forms Oulton Broad and Lothing Lake.
CHAD, a lake of northern Central Africa lying between 12° 50' and 14° 10' N.
The lake is situated about 850 ft.
The area of the lake is shrinking owing to the progressive desiccation of the country, Saharan climate and conditions replacing those of the Sudan.
The drying-up process has been comparatively rapid since the middle of the 19th century, a town which in 1850 was on the southern margin of the lake being in 1905 over 20 m.
On the west the shore is perfectly flat, so that a slight rise in the water causes the inundation of a considerable area - a fact not without its influence on the estimates made at varying periods as to the size of the lake.
But what were islands when viewed by Overweg in 185r, formed in 1903 part of the mainland and new islands had arisen in the lake.
It is also, especially on the east, lined by lagoons which communicate with the lake by intricate channels.
The lake is nowhere of great depth, and about midway numerous mud-banks, marshes, islands and dense growths of aqueous plants stretch across its surface.
Another stretch of marsh usually cuts off the northernmost part of the lake from the central sections.
Fed by the Shari and other rivers, the lake has no outlet and its area varies according to the season.
The flood water brought down by the Shari in December and January causes the lake to rise to a maximum of 24 ft., the water spreading over low-lying ground, left dry again in May or June.
In 1870 the lake rose to an exceptional height, but since then, save in 1897, there has been only the normal seasonal rise.
The prevalent northeast wind cau s es at times a heavy swell on the lake.
In the south-west end of the lake the water is yellow, caused by banks of clay; elsewhere it is clear.
The southern basin of Chad is described under the Shari, which empties its waters into the lake about the middle of the southern shore, forming a delta of considerable extent.
Beyond the south-east corner of the lake is a depression known as the Bahr-el-Ghazal (not to be confounded with the Nile affluent of the same name).
Coming from the Tibesti highlands the Bahr-el-Ghazal has a south-westerly trend to Lake Chad.
Near the lake the valley was formerly swampy, and at high-water the lake overflowed into it.
There is now neither inlet nor outlet to the lake in this direction, the mouth of the Ghazal having become a fertile millet field.
Besides the Shari, the only important stream entering Lake Chad is the Waube or Yo (otherwise the Komadugu Yobe), which rises near Kano, and flowing eastward enters the lake on its western side 40 m.
In the rains the Waube carries down a considerable body of water to the lake.
Lake Chad is supposed to have been known by report to Ptolemy, and is identified by some writers with the Kura lake of the middle ages.
By them the lake was named Waterloo.
In 1850 James Richardson, accompanied by Heinrich Barth and Adolf Overweg, reached the lake, also via Tripoli, and Overweg was the first European to navigate its waters (1851).
The lake was visited by Eduard Vogel (1855) and by Gustav Nachtigal (1870), the last-named investigating its hydrography in some detail.
A small steamer, brought from the Congo by Emile Gentil, was in 1897 launched on the Shari, and reaching the Chad, navigated the southern part of the lake.
Communication between Algeria and Lake Chad by way of the Sahara was opened, after repeated failures, by the French explorer F.
Joalland, reached the lake from the middle Niger, continuing his journey round the north end to Kanem.
Morland visited the lake at the beginning of 1902, and in May of the same year the Germans first reached it from Cameroon.
Boyd Alexander, a British officer, further explored the lake, which then contained few stretches of open water.
of the lake and Kanem to the N.E.
One of the ancient trade routes across the Sahara - that from Tripoli to Kuka in Bornu - strikes the lake at its northwest corner, but this has lost much of its former importance.
In the third and longest section, the line starts from a pillar erected in the Perez Rosales pass, near Lake Nahuel-Huapi, and follows the water-parting southward to the highest point of Mt.
The Desaguadero also receives the outflow of the Laguna Bebedero, an intensely saline lake of western San Luis.
The Lake of Geneva, which forms 32 m.
The most important French lake is that of Grand-Lieu, between Nantes and Pairnbceuf (Loire-Infrieure), which presents a surface of 17,300 acres.
long; its principal tributary is the Zanga, which flows by Erivan and drains Lake Gokcha or Sevanga.
Her worship was early transferred to Rome, localized by the Lacus Juturnae near the temple of Vesta, at which Castor and Pollux, after announcing the victory of lake Regillus, were said to have washed the sweat from their horses.
It is situated in a bare and rocky country near the western shore of lake Runn.
Soc. London (1891); "Fossil Remains of Lake Cadibona," Part I.
end of Loch Voil, a lake at the foot of the Braes of Balquhidder.
of Stockholm, and communicates with Lake Roxen (2 m.
The country round Lake Eyre, where some of the land is actually below sea-level, comes under this heading.
Another notable feature of the interior is the so-called lake area, a district stretching to the north of Spencer Gulf.
Lake Torrens, the largest of these depressions, sometimes forms a sheet of water 100 m.
To the north again stretches Lake Eyre, and to the west Lake Gairdner.
They are also preserved in basins on the western plateau, as shown by brown coal deposits passed through in the Lake Phillipson bore.
In this valley were laid down, either in Eocene or Oligocene times, a great series of lake beds and thick accumulations of brown coal.
Tasmania and Victoria were separated by the foundering of Bass Strait, and at the same time the formation of the rift valley of Spencer Gulf, and Lake Torrens, isolated the South Australian highlands from the Eyre Peninsula and the Westralian plateau.
It is this tropical downpour that fills and floods the rivers flowing into Lake Eyre and those falling into the Darling on its right bank.
Messrs Hamilton Hume and Hovell set out from Lake George, crossed the Murrumbidgee, and, after following the river for a short distance, struck south, skirting the foothills of what are now known as the Australian Alps until they reached a fine river, which was called the Hume after the leader's father.
This stream, the Murray, in the upper part of its course runs in a north-westerly direction, but afterwards turning southwards, almost at a right angle, expands into Lake Alexandrina on the south coast, about 60 m.
Eyre also explored the interior north of the head of Spencer Gulf, where he was misled, however, by appearances to form an erroneous theory about the water-surfaces named Lake Torrens.
The first of his tours independently performed, in 1858 and 1859, were around the South Australian lakes, namely, Lake Torrens, Lake Eyre and Lake Gairdner.
These waters had been erroneously taken for parts of one vast horseshoe or sickle shaped lake, only some 20 m.
When Mr Eyre viewed the country from Mount Deception in 1840, looking between Lake Torrens and the lake which now bears his own name, the refraction of light from the glittering crust of salt that covers a large space of stony or sandy ground produced an appearance of water.
He started in March 1860, passing Lake Torrens and Lake Eyre, beyond which he found a pleasant, fertile country till he crossed the Macdonnell range of mountains, just under the line of the tropic of Capricorn.
McKinlay, from Adelaide, made for the Barcoo by way of Lake Torrens.
The Barcoo or Cooper's Creek and its tributary streams were traced from the Queensland mountains, holding a south-westerly course to Lake Eyre in South Australia; the Flinders, the Gilbert, the Gregory, and other northern rivers watering the country towards the Gulf of Carpentaria were also explored.
He passed the Reynolds range and Lake Amadeus in that direction, but was compelled to turn south, where he found a tract of well-watered grassy land.
After a few months' rest it started on the return journey, following Sturt Creek until its termination in Gregory's Salt Sea, and then keeping parallel with the South Australian border as far as Lake Macdonald.
Rounding that lake the expedition moved south-west and reached the settled districts in August 1897.
by New York and Lake Champlain, which separates it in part from New York.
shore of Lake Champlain (96 ft.) to 4364 ft.
of that lake.
along the shore of Lake Champlain.
and E., but with some rugged escarpments facing the lake; their highest point is Snake Mountain (1271 ft.) in Addison county.
and on Grand Isle, North Hero Island, and Isle La Motte in Lake Champlain.
into Lake Champlain or the Hudson river and those flowing S.E.
into Lake Memphremagog, the waters of which, like those of Lake Champlain, are tributary to the St Lawrence river.
The largest and only navigable rivers of Vermont are among those flowing into Lake Champlain: the Missisquoi, the Lamoille, the Winooski and Otter Creek.
The Black, Barton and Clyde rivers flow into Lake Memphremagog.
Lake Champlain, which lies beautifully in the valley between the Green and Adirondack mountains, belongs mostly to Vermont.
Of these Lake Bomoseen in Rutland (disambiguation)|Rutland county and Willoughby Lake in Orleans county are the largest.
Willoughby Lake is about 6 m.
A few sturgeon are taken in Lake Champlain.
Along the shore of Lake Champlain are a few species of maritime plants that remain from the time when portions of western Vermont were covered by the sea, and on the upper slopes of some of the higher mountains are a few Alpine species; these, however, are much less numerous on the Green Mountains of Vermont than on the White Mountains of New Hampshire.
The eastern section of the state is colder than the western, and the central or most mountainous section is still colder; for example, the mean annual temperature of Burlington, on Lake Champlain, is 46° F., while that of Saint Johnsbury, a little farther S.
Vermont was heavily forested with white pine, spruce and hemlock, and, in the southern part of the state and along the shore of Lake Champlain, with some hard woods.
Lake Champlain furnishes the only commerical fishing grounds in Vermont, with the exceptions of small catches of white fish in Lake Bomoseen, Lake St Catherine in Rutland county and Lake Memphremagog.
The most valuable fish taken was walleyed pike, and the catch of this fish and of pickerel from Lake Champlain in 1902 exceeded in value that from any other body of fresh water in the United States excepting Lake Huron and Lake Erie.
The first important industry of the state was "rafting" lumber from Vermont through Lake Champlain and the Richelieu and St Lawrence rivers to Quebec. Burlington became a great lumber market for a trade moving in the direction of Boston after the Richelieu river was blocked to navigation and railway transportation began, and in 1882 Burlington was the third lumber centre in the United States.
The principal railways are: the lines operated by the Boston & Maine system, extending along the eastern border from Brattleboro through Bellows Falls, and St Johnsbury to the Canada boundary (Vermont Valley, Sullivan County, and Connecticut & Passumpsic Rivers railways), with a line, the St Johnsbury & Lake Champlain railway, extending across the northern part of the state from Lunenburg to Maguam Bay; the Central Vermont railway (Grand Trunk system) which crosses the state diagonally from S.E.
Water communication is afforded by Lake Champlain to the south, for seven months of the year, by way of the Champlain canal, via Whitehall, New York, to Troy and the Hudson river and the Atlantic coast, and to the north by way of the Richelieu river and the Chambly canal to the St Lawrence.
The commerce of the lake consists principally of coal, wood pulp and building material, besides general merchandise.
The only river with traffic of commercial importance is Otter Creek, flowing northwards into the southern part of Lake Champlain and having a navigable length of 8 m.
The commerce on Lake Champlain is carried on chiefly through Burlington, the port of entry for the Vermont customs district.
During the War of 1812 Vermont troops took part in the battles of Chippewa, Lundy's Lane, Lake Erie and Plattsburgh; but the only engagement in the state itself was the defence of Fort Cassin (at the mouth of Otter Creek in the N.W.
of Orvieto by road, situated on the northeast bank of the lake of Bolsena.
Christina (martyred by drowning in the lake, according to the legend, in 278) which dates from the 11th century and contains some frescoes, perhaps of the school of Giotto.
The Lake of Bolsena (anc. Lacus Volsiniensis), 'coo ft.
Crater lakes are Telaga (lake) Budas, in the crater of the volcano of the same name in the south-east, and Telaga Warna, on the slopes of the Gede, famous for its beautiful tinting.
The limestone forms fine scarps on the southern side of the lake, capped by beds regarded as the Yoredale series.
Upper Lough Erne is a typical meandering lake of the limestone lowland, with outliers of higher Carboniferous strata forming highlands northeast and south-west of it.
alba, the white oak, abounding all over the eastern districts to the continent from Lake Winnipeg and the St Lawrence countries of the shores of the Mexican Gulf.
VEVEY [German Vivid, a small town in the Swiss canton of Vaud and near the eastern extremity of the Lake of Geneva.
of the VernexMontreux railway station, while it is well served by steamers plying over the Lake of Geneva.
It stands at the mouth of the Veveyse and commands fine views of the snowy mountains seen over the glassy surface of the lake.
South of the port is the shallow entrance to the Lagoa do Norte, or Lagoa Mundahu, a salt-water lake extending inland for some miles.
In prehistoric times the river ran straight on along the valley of the Chiana and joined the Tiber near Orvieto; and there was a great lake, the north end of which was at Incisa and the south at the lake of Chiusi.
of Lake Tsana, a splendid view of which is obtained from the castle.
Two streams, the Angreb on the east side and the Gaha or Kaha on the west, flow from the ridge, and meeting below the town, pass onwards to the lake.
SIRMIO, a promontory at the southern end of the Lacus Benacus (Lake of Garda), projecting 22 m.
into the lake.
A post-station bearing the name Sirmio stood on the high-road between Brixia and Verona, near the southern shore of the lake.
of Schuyler (or Candarago) lake.
The only basin of any extent is the Sambhar salt lake, of about 50 m.
He served with Commodore Chauncey, and then was sent from Lake Ontario to Lake Erie, where he took up the chief command at the end of March 1813.
With the help of a strong detachment of officers and men from the Atlantic coast he equipped a squadron consisting of one brig, six fine schooners and one sloop. Other vessels were laid down at Presque Isle (now Erie), where he concentrated the Lake Erie fleet in July.
Captain Barclay, after a hot engagement - the Battle of Lake Erie - in which Captain Perry's flagship the "Lawrence," a brig, was so severely shattered that he had to leave her, was completely defeated.
Attempts have been made to improve submarine cables in this respect, and in 1906 a short cable " loaded " with Pupin coils was laid across Lake Constance.
This plateau region is watered by numerous tributaries of the Parnahyba, chief of which are the Urussuhy, the Caninde and its tributary the Piauhy, the Gurgueia and its tributary the Parahim, which drains the large inland lake of Parnagua, the Longa, and the Poty, which has its source in the state of Ceara.
in a direct line&mdsah;the Po receives all the waters that flow from the Apennines northwards, and all those that descend from the Alps towards the south, Mincio (the outlet of the Lake of Garda) inclusive.
through the Val Leventina to Bellinzona (where it is joined by the MoÃ«sa bringing down the waters of the Val Misocco) enters the lake through a marshy plain at Magadino, about 10 m.
Or the west side of the lake the Toccia or Tosa descends from the pass of the Gries nearly due south to Domodossola, where it receives the waters of the Doveria from the Simplon, and a few miles lower down those of the Val d'Anzasca from the foot of Monte Rosa, and 12 m.
farther has its outlet into the lake between Baveno and Pallanza.
The next great affluent of the Po, the Adda, forms the outflow of the Lake of Como, and has also its sources in the Alps, above Bormio, whence it flows through the broad and fertile valley of the Valtellina for more than 65 m.
till it enters the lake near Colico.
The Adda in this part of its course has a direction almost due east to west; but at the point where it reaches the lake, the Liro descends the valley of S.
The Adda flows out of the lake at its south-eastern extremity at Lecco, and has thence a course through the plain of above 70 m.
The Oglio, a more considerable stream than either of the last two, rises in the Monte Tonale above Edolo, and descends through the Val Camonica to Lovere, where it expands into a large lake, called Iseo from the town of that name on its southern shore.
from Peschiera, where it issues from the lake at its south-eastern angle, till it joins the Po.
These are the Monte Terminillo, near Leonessa (7278 ft.), and the Monte Velino near the Lake Fucino, rising to 8192 ft., both of which are covered with snow from November till May.
Such is the basin of Lake Fucino, situated in the centre of the mass, almost exactly midway between the two seas, at an elevation of 2180 ft.
South of this the country between the frontier of Tuscany and the Tiber is in great part of volcanic origin, forming hills with distinct crater-shaped basins, in several instances occupied by small lakes (the Lake of Bolsena, Lake of Vico and Lake of Bracciano).
The Liri (Liris) or Garigliano, which has its source in the central Apennines above Sora, not far from Lake Fucino, and enters the Gulf of Gaeta about 10 m.
The neighbouring lake of Chiusi is of similar character, but much smaller dimensions.
Such is the Lago di Bolsena, near the city of the same name, which is an extensive sheet of water, as well as the much smaller Lago di Vico (the Ciminian lake of ancient writers) and the Lago di Bracciano, nearer Rome, while to the south of Rome the well known lakes of Albano and Nemi have a similar origin.
The only lake properly so called in southern Italy is the Lago del Matese, in the heart of the mountain group of the same name, of small extent.
The district from the south-east of Lake Fucino to the Piano di Cinque Miglia, enclosing the upper basin of the Sangro and the small lake of Scanno, is the coldest and most bleak part of Italy south of the Alps.
Partridges, woodcock, snipe, &c., are among the game-birds; but all kinds of small birds are also shot for food, and their number is thus kept down, while many members of the migratory species are caught by traps in the foothills on the south side of the Alps, especially near the Lake of Como, on their passage.
Berengar imprisoned her upon the Lake of Como, and threatened her with a forced marriage to his son Adalbert.
It is served by the Virginia and Truckee railway, which has repair shops here, and by stage to Lake Tahoe, 12 m.
Another notice occurs in the story of Nicolo Conti (c. 1440), who explains the name to mean "Island of Gold," and speaks of a lake with peculiar virtues as existing in it.
Limnocnida tanganyicae was discovered first in Lake Tanganyika, but has since been discovered also in Lake Victoria and in the river Niger.
The Lombardy poplar is valuable chiefly as an ornamental tree, its timber being of very inferior quality; its tall, erect growth renders it useful to the landscape-gardener as a relief to the rounded forms of other trees, or in contrast to the horizontal lines of the lake or river-bank where it delights to grow.
This tree, the "liard" of the Canadian voyageur, abounds on many of the river sides of the northwestern plains; it occurs in the neighbourhood of the Great Slave Lake and along the Mackenzie River, and forms much of the driftwood of the Arctic coast.
When war with England broke out, in 1812, he was ordered to cruise in the lakes between Canada and the United States, with his headquarters on lake Champlain.
He was instrumental in saving New York and Vermont from invasion by his brilliant victory of lake Champlain gained, on the nth of September 1814, with a flotilla of 14 vessels carrying 86 guns, over Captain George Downie's 16 vessels and 92 guns.
The Persians are not mentioned in history before the time of Cyrus; the attempt to identify them with the Parsua, a district in the Zagros chains south of Lake Urmia, often mentioned by the Assyrians, is not tenable.
Fathers Mendez and Lobo traversed the deserts between the coast of the Red sea and the mountains, became acquainted with Lake Tsana, and discovered the sources of the Blue Nile in 1624-1633.
shore of Lake Michigan, 35 m.
It is served by the Chicago & North-Western railway, by interurban electric lines connecting with Chicago and Milwaukee, and by freight and passenger steamship lines on Lake Michigan.
It has a good harbour and a considerable lake commerce.
The city is finely situated on high bluffs above the lake, and is widely known for its healthiness.
ABITIBBI, a lake and river of Ontario, Canada.
The lake, in 49° N., 80° W., is 60 m.
Perry's victory on Lake Erie, and portraits of most of the governors of Ohio.
The city is supplied with good water from Lake Sebago, 17 m.
Birds which are originally immigrants from North America: Podicipedidae, with the flightless Centropelma on Lake Titicaca;.
It lies in the midst of the great red and brown hematite iron-ore deposits of the Mesabi Range - the richest in the Lake Superior district - and the mining and shipping of this ore are its principal industries.
The municipality owns and operates the waterworks, the water being obtained from Lake Saint Mary, one of a chain of small lakes lying S.
In the interior of the mines are sixteen ponds, of which the large lake of Przykos is 195 ft.
It is found also in the Lake Superior district.
SEMIRYECHENSK, a province of Russian Turkestan, including the steppes south of Lake Balkash and parts of the Tian-shan Mountains around Lake Issyk-kul.
" Seven Rivers") to the rivers which flow from the south-east into Lake Balkash.
the Trans-Ili Ala-tau and the Kunghei Ala-tau, stretch along the north shore of Lake Issyk-kul, both ranging from io,000 to 15,000 ft.
South of the lake two ranges of the Tian-shan, separated by the valley of the Naryn, stretch in the same direction, lifting up their icy peaks to 16,000 and 18,000 ft.; while westwards from the lake the precipitous slopes of the Alexander chain, 9000 to io,000 ft.
Another mountain-complex of much lower elevation runs north-westwards from the Trans-Ili Ala-tau towards the southern extremity of Lake Balkash.
The remainder of the province consists of a fertile steppe in the north-east (Sergiopol), and vast uninhabitable sand-steppes on the south of Lake Balkash.
Southwards from the last-named, however, at the foot of the mountains and at the entrance to the valleys, there are rich areas of fertile land, which are being rapidly colonized by Russian immigrants, who have also penetrated into the Tian-shan, to the east of Lake Issyk-kul.
In the Balkash steppes the winter is very cold; the lake freezes every year, and the thermometer falls to 13° F.
before it enters Lake Balkash.
Lake Balkash, or Denghiz, Lake Ala-kul (which was connected with Balkash in the post-Pliocene period, but now stands some hundred feet higher, and is connected by a chain of smaller lakes with Sissyk-kul), Lake Issyk-kul and the alpine lakes of Son-kul and Chatyr-kul are the principal sheets of water.
by rail east of Winnipeg, on the Canadian Pacific railway, and at the outlet of the Lake of the Woods.
The Winnipeg River has at this point a fall of 16 ft., which, with the lake as a reservoir, furnishes an abundant and unfailing waterpower.
It is the distributing point for the gold mines of the district, and during the summer months steamboat communication is maintained on the lake.
Here it is joined by the Kara Su (Teleboas), which, rising near Lake Van, runs past Wish and waters the plain.
BUTRINTO, a seaport and fortified town of southern Albania, Turkey, in the vilayet of Iannina; directly opposite the island of Corfu (Corcyra), and on a small stream which issues from Lake Vatzindro or Vivari, into the Bay of Butrinto, an inlet of the Adriatic Sea.
A crowded native quarter built round a picturesque lake lies close to the river with the European quarter to the south of it.
The eastern part of the township is generally hilly, reaching a maximum altitude of about 2200 ft., and there are two considerable bodies of water - Laurel Lake in the N.W.
Ungava includes much of the lower portion of Labrador, with a rim of recent marine deposits along its western coast, but the interior has the usual character of low rocky hills of Archean rocks, especially granite and gneiss, with a long band of little disturbed iron-bearing rocks, resembling the Animikie, or Upper Huronian of the Lake Superior region, near its eastern side.
The boundaries separating it from Rio Grande do Sul, a province of Brazil, are Lake Mirim, the rivers Chuy, Jaguarao and Quarahy, and a cuchilla or low range of hills called Santa Ana.
Besides the rivers mentioned, the chief streams are the Santa Lucia, which falls into the Plata a little west of Montevideo; the Queguay, in Paysandu; and the Cebollati, rising in the sierras in Minas and flowing into Lake Mirim.
above Lake Erie.
It is served by the Chicago, Indianapolis & Louisville, the Cincinnati, Hamilton & Dayton, the Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago & St Louis (New York Central System), the Lake Erie & Western (New York Central System), the Pittsburg, Cincinnati, Chicago & St Louis (Pennsylvania System) and the Vandalia (Pennsylvania System) railways.
The last named was opened in 1904, and is controlled by the Winona Lake corporation, having official connexion with several national trade unions.
Cape Mount (on the northern side of which is a large lagoon - Fisherman Lake) at its highest point is 1050 ft.
There is a salt lake or lagoon between the Cape Palmas river and the vicinity of the Cavalla.
A flamingo (Phoeniconaias) visits Fisherman Lake, and there are a good many species of herons.
It is essentially a province of hills, the only considerable plain being that around the Tung-t'ing lake, but this extends little beyond the area which in summer forms part of the lake.
above Chang-te Fu; and (4) the Ling-kiang, which flows from the tea district of Ho-feng Chow to the Tung-t'ing lake.
One of the leading features of the province is the Tung-t'ing lake.
Yo Chow, the treaty port of the province, stands at the outlet of the river Siang into this lake.
Frankfort is served by the Chicago, Indianapolis & Louisville, the Lake Erie & Western, the Vandalia, and the Toledo, St Louis & Western railways, and by the Indianapolis & North -Western Traction Interurban railway (electric).
SNEEK, a town in the province of Friesland, Holland, to the west of Sneek lake, 14 m by rail S.S.W.
On an islet in the lake stands a ruined "broth" or round tower.
of Lake Baikal that it climbs up on to the plateau, from which it descends again before it reaches the Pacific.
to Lake Onega, and S.E.
A deep gulf of the Arctic Sea advanced up the valley of the Dvina; and the Caspian, connected by the Manych with the Black Sea, and by the Uzboy valley with Lake Aral, penetrated N.
But even this sheet of water is an inland sea, the only outlet of which, the Bosphorus, is in foreign hands, while the Caspian, an immense shallow lake, mostly bordered by deserts, possesses more importance as a link between Russia and her Asiatic settlements than as a channel for intercourse with other countries.
above sea-level, deeply cut into by river valleys, and bounded on all sides by broad swellings or low mountain-ranges: the lake plateaus of Finland.
The round flattened summits of the Valdai plateau do not rise above 1100 ft., and they present the appearance of mountains only in consequence of the depths of the valleys - the rivers which flow towards the depression of Lake Peipus being only 200 to 250 ft.
Only a few low swellings penetrate into it from the N.W., about Lake Onega, and reach 900 ft., while in the N.E.
The Neva (40 m.) flows from Lake Ladoga into the Gulf of Finland.
The Volkhov, discharging into Lake Ladoga, and forming part of the Vyshniy-Volochok system of canals, is an important channel for navigation; it flows from Lake Ilmen, which receives the Msta, connected with the Volga, and the Lovat.
The Svir, also discharging into Lake Ladoga, flows from Lake Onega, and, being part of the Mariinsk canal system, is of great importance for navigation.
Lake Peipus, or Chudskoye, receives the Velikaya, a channel of traffic with S.
The Kuma, the Terek and the Kura, with the Aras, which receives the waters of Lake Gok-cha, belong to Caucasia.'
The Great Russians occupy in one compact mass the space enclosed by a line drawn from the White Sea to Lake Pskov, the upper courses of the W.
Finland; the Karelians, in the E., who also occupy the lake regions of Olonets and Archangel, and have settlements in Novgorod and Tver; the Izhores, on the Neva and the S.E.
The most important of the new railways is the Siberian, of which the first section, Chelyabinsk to Omsk, was opened in December 1895, and which, except for a short section round Lake Baikal, in 1901 was completed right through to Stryetensk, on the Shilka, the head of navigation on the Shilka and the Amur, 2710 m.
end of Lake Baikal was completed in 1905.
Taking the Lake Aral and Siberian river fisheries into account, it is estimated that altogether the fishing industries yield a revenue to the state of £330,000 annually.'
Nestor, an old monkish chronicler Origin of Kiev, relates that in the middle of the 9th century of the the Slav and Finnish tribes inhabiting the forest region around Lake Ilmen, between Lake Ladoga and the upper waters of the Dnieper, paid tribute to military adventurers from the land of Ras, which is commonly supposed to have been a part of Sweden.
Lake Ilmen and the river Volkhov, on which stands Novgorod, Rurik's capital, formed part of the great waterway from the Baltic to the Black Sea, and we know that by this route travelled from Scandinavia to Constantinople the tall fair-haired Northmen who composed the famous Varangian bodyguard of the Byzantine emperors.
from the Baltic, on the Kamminsche Bodden, a lake connected with the sea by the Dievenow.
Some rivers, notably the Kur (Kyros, Araxes) which flows into the Bakhtegan lake east of Shiraz, drain into inland depressions or lakes.
in very difficult country around the south end of Lake Baikal; this was constructed in 1904, communication being maintained in the interval by ferry-boats, which conveyed all the carriages of a train across the lake, more than 40 m., when the ice permitted.
Within the boundaries of the United States the northernmost of the transcontinental lines was the Great Northern railway, extending from a point opposite Vancouver, B.C., and from Seattle, Wash., to Duluth, on Lake Superior, and to St Paul and Minneapolis, Minn., where connexion through to Chicago was made over an allied line,.
Hitherto the western terminus of this group of lines had been Salt Lake City, Utah; by the exceedingly bold construction of the Western Pacific from Salt Lake City to Oakland, Cal., opposite San Francisco, an additional line to the Pacific coast was provided, having low grades and being in all respects well adapted for cheap operation.
The guarantee for this activity may be illustrated by a single fact: the combined building operations, in 1908, of San Francisco, Seattle, Portland, Los Angeles, Spokane and Salt Lake City exceeded the combined building operations of Philadelphia, Pittsburg, Kansas City, Boston, Baltimore and Cincinnati during the same year.
(60 to 80 on the Great Salt Lake).
The largest of all, Great Salt Lake, is maintained by the waters of the Wasatch and associated plateaus.
Such are the Great Salt Lake and Carson deserts in the north, the Mohave and Colorado and Amargosa (Death Valley) deserts of the south-west.
In the Pleistocene period many large lakes were formed within the Great Basin; especially, by the fusion of small catchment basins, two great confluent bodies of water - Lake Lahontan (in the Nevada basin) and Lake Bonneville (in the Utah basin).
Gilbert's Lake Bonneville (U.S. Geological Survey, Monographs, No.
C. Russell's Lake Lahontan (Same, No.
Great Bear Lake >>
Both these rivers come from the south-west: the Argun, or Kerulen as it is called above Lake Kulun (Dalai-nor), through which it flows about half way between its source and Ust-Stryelka, rises in 49° N.
Till 1765 it was only a village under the name of Causewayhead, but the discovery of marl in the lake brought it some prosperity, and it was purchased in 1792 by Sir William Douglas and called after him.
Carlingwark Loch contains several islets, on one of which is a crannog, or ancient lake dwelling.
The south-western Baltic was a Danish Mediterranean, and Danish territory extended from the Elbe to lake Peipus.
GREAT BEAR LAKE, an extensive sheet of fresh water in the north-west of Canada, between 65° and 67° N., and 117° and 123° W.
This park is tastefully laid out, and is traversed by a lake, which is mainly noticeable from the remarkably handsome marble bridge which crosses it from east to west.
from the Po-yang Lake.
The largest river is the Kan Kiang, which rises in the mountains in the south of the province and flows north-east to the Po-yang Lake.
Another river of note is the Chang Kiang, which has its source in the province of Ngan-hui and flows into the Po-yang Lake, connecting in its course the Wuyuen district, whence come the celebrated "Moyune" green teas, and the city of King-to-chen, celebrated for its pottery, with Jao-chow Fu on the lake.
The black "Kaisow" teas are brought from the Ho-kow district, where they are grown, down the river Kin to Juy-hung on the lake, and the Siu-ho connects by a navigable stream I-ning Chow, in the neighbourhood of which city the best black teas of this part of China are produced, with Wu-ching, the principal mart of trade on the lake.
Kiu-kiang, the treaty port of the province, opened to foreign trade in 1861, is on the Yangtsze-kiang, a short distance above the junction of the Po-yang Lake with that river.
Deyverdun: from the garden a rich scenery of meadows and vineyards descends to the Leman Lake, and the prospect far beyond the lake is crowned by the stupendous mountains of Savoy."
After laying down my pen, I took several turns in a berceau or covered walk of acacias, which commands a prospect of the country, the lake, and the mountains.
This stream empties into the Humboldt lake, the overflow from which goes into the so-called Carson Sink.
The Truckee river flows with more vigour, having its source in Lake Tahoe, in California, at an altitude of 6225 ft., and entering the Carson river through an irrigation canal :completed in 1905; before this date it flowed into Pyramid Lake and Lake Winnemucca in the depression at the foot of the Sierra Nevada.
Of this group of lakes in the western depression, Pyramid Lake is the largest, being 33 m.
Fed by the same stream is its western neighbour, Lake Winnemucca, a much smaller body.
Next in importance is Walker lake, 33 m.
On the western boundary, and partly included within the limits of Nevada, is Lake Tahoe, 20 m.
deep at its centre and whose waters have never been known to freeze, notwithstanding the lake's elevation.
During the glacial period many of the Nevada lakes attained a great size, several of them uniting to form the ancient " Lake Lahontan," in northwestern Nevada.
The most productive part of the state is the Humboldt Valley and the region near Pyramid Lake, including the counties of Humboldt, Elko and VVashoe.
The state is crossed from east and west by three main lines of railway, parts of the great transcontinental systems, the Southern Pacific and the Western Pacific in the northern part of the state and the San Pedro, Los Angeles & Salt Lake in the southern.
The San Pedro, Los Angeles & Salt Lake railway, also an important factor in east and west transcontinental traffic, opened in May 1905, has been of special value in the development of the southern part of the state.
It crosses a section that is mostly desert, but is connected with the Bullfrog District by the Las Vegas & Tonopah, which runs from Goldfield through Beatty and Rhyolite, and meets the San Pedro, Los Angeles & Salt Lake at Las Vegas.
4 (June 1895); idem., The Geological History of Lake Lahontan, a Quaternary Lake of North-western Nevada (Washington, 1885), U.S. Geological Survey Monograph, No.
North of this is the deep bay called in ancient times the Gulf of Iasus (now known as the Gulf of Mendeliyah), and beyond this again was the deeper inlet which formerly extended inland between Miletus and Priene, but of which the outer part has been entirely filled up by the alluvial deposits of the Maeander, while the innermost arm, the ancient Latmic Gulf, is now a lake.
above the sea, lies Loch Avon (or A'an), a narrow lake about 12 m.
At the western end of the lake is the Shelter Stone, an enormous block of granite resting upon two other blocks, which can accommodate a dozen persons.
Morton Park contains 200 acres of woodland bordering the shores of Billington Sea (a freshwater lake).
MARSI, an ancient people of Italy, whose chief centre was Marruvium, on the eastern shore of Lake Fucinus.
The Latin colony of Alba Fucens near the north-west corner of the lake was founded in the adjoining Aequian territory in 303, so that from the beginning of the 3rd century the Marsians were in touch with a Latin-speaking community, to say nothing of the Latin colony of Carsioli (298 B.C.) farther west.
The chief record of the dialect or patois we owe to the goddess Angitia, whose chief temple and grove stood at the south-west corner of Lake Fucinus, near the inlet to the emissarius of Claudius (restored by Prince Torlonia), and the modern village of Luco.
The earliest local inscriptions date from about 300 to 150 B.C. and include the interesting and difficult bronze of Lake Fucinus, which seems to record a votive offering to Angitia, if A(n)ctia, as is probable, was the local form of her name.
The largest of these are Lake Hanel, lying at an altitude of 14,000 ft., at the head of the valley of the same name, and measuring 600 by 400 yds.; and Lake Michaelson (12,700 ft.?) in the Gorges Valley.
LOCH SHIEL, a lake near the Atlantic seaboard of Scotland, lying between the district of Moidart in Inverness-shire and the districts of Ardgour and Sunart in Argyllshire.
The boundary line between the two counties is drawn lengthwise down the centre of the lake and is continued down the river Shiel to the sea.
The lake has an area of 4840 acres or 71 sq.
Amongst the principal lakes are the Wochein, the Weissenfels, the Veldes, and the seven small lakes of the Triglav; while in the Karst region lies the famous periodical lake of Zirknitz, known to the Romans as Lacus Lugens or Lugea Palus.
The territory of Orvieto extended from Chiusi to the coast at Orbetello, to the Lake of Bolsena and the Tiber.
Lake Chapala lies on the northern boundary.
of Morelia; Patzcuaro (7621), on Patzcuaro lake, with a station on the Mexican National, 7550 ft.
of Morelia near Lake Chapala; Zitacuaro (6052), 60 m.
It stood on the banks of a small loch and was known as the Monastery of the Green Lake from the mass of confervae with which the water was continually covered.
Augustus, however, finding it too unwieldy, again divided it into three provinces, one of which was Belgica, bounded on the west by the Seine and the Arar (Saone); on the north by the North Sea; on the east by the Rhine from its mouth to the Lacus Brigantinus (Lake Constance).
above water, permitting the tallest masts of lake shipping to pass.
Passenger steamship service was transferred to a new 5 ac. pier on the lake front, built at a cost of $500,000.
to the neighbourhood of Lake Peteu in Guatemala.
For a short time he worked for his father in the hardware business; in1852-1856he worked as a surveyor in preparing maps of Ulster, Albany and Delaware counties in New York, of Lake and Geauga counties in Ohio, and of Oakland county in Michigan, and of a projected railway line between Newburgh and Syracuse, N.Y.
On an island in a small lake east of the town is a.
m., about one-half of which is contained in Lake Mattamuskeet in Hyde county.
The district has 24 villages and extends from near Istahbamat, south of the Bakhtegan lake, to about 50 m.
from the southeastern point of the lake, and about 130 m.
The contemplative asceticism of the Essenes of Judaea may be mentioned, and, somewhat later, the life of the Therapeutae on the shores of Lake Moeris.
The Pamir highlands between the base of the Tian-shan mountains and the eastern buttresses of the Hindu Kush unite these two great divides, enclosing the Gobi depression on the west; and they would again be united on the east but for the transverse valley of the Amur, which parts the Khingan mountains from the Yablonoi system to the east of Lake Baikal.
Many of them are at high elevations (Lake Victoria, 13,400 ft., being probably the most elevated), and are undoubted vestiges of an ancient period of glaciation.
Holdich, Colonel St George Gore and Sir Adelbert Talbot; and when Ney Elias crossed from China through the Pamirs and Badakshan to the camp of the commission, identifying the great " Dragon Lake," Rangkul, on his way.
above the crossing-point of the Russian Trans-Caspian railway at Charjui, the main channel of the Oxus river becomes the northern boundary of Afghanistan, separating that country from Russia, and so continues to its source in Victoria Lake of the Great Pamir.
The whole of the north of Africa from Egypt to Morocco has been mahommedanized, and Mahommedan influence is general and fairly strong from Timbuktu to Lake Chad and Wadai.
part of the state, at the head of Chequamegon Bay, an arm of Lake Superior.
The lake trade amounts to more than $35,000,000 annually.
from Lake Erie, and about 25 m.
It is served by the Baltimore & Ohio, and the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern railways.
King and queen fly, carrying the child with them, and while the wife is tending her husband, who dies of a broken heart on his flight, the infant is carried off by a friendly water-fairy, the Lady of the Lake, who brings the boy up in her mysterious kingdom.
This stream flows north-westward from the last lake and vanishes underground within 3 m.
of Toronto, on Lake Couchiching and on the Grand Trunk railway.
of Lake Aral; altitude 260 ft.
It was during the campaigns which ensued that General Arthur Wellesley defeated Sindhia and the Bhonsla raja at Assaye, and General Lake won the victories of Farrukhabad, Dig and Laswari over Sindhia and Holkar.
Through the Tuburi marshes there is a water connexion between the Benue (Niger) and Shari (Lake Chad) systems.
shore of Lake Michigan, 75 m.
It is served by the Chicago & North-Western, and the Wisconsin Central railways; by ferry across the lake to Frankfort, Mich., and Ludington, Mich.; by the Ann Arbor and the Pere Marquette railways; and by the Goodrich line of lake steamers.
The city is finely situated on high ground above the lake at the mouth of the Manitowoc river.
There is a good harbour, and the city has a considerable lake commerce in grain, flour, and dairy products.
The Peak District of the north, on the other hand, though inferior in grandeur to the mountainous Lake District, presents some of the finest hill scenery in England, deriving a special beauty from the richly wooded glens and valleys, such as those of Castleton, Glossop, Dovedale and Millersdale.
The lake of Avernus, as an entrance to the infernal regions, was sacred to her.
The palace is surrounded by gardens and ornamental waters - to the north the Jardin de l'Orangerie, to the south the Jardin Anglais and the Parterre, between which extends the lake known as the Bassin des Carpes, containing carp in large numbers.
The word usage examples above have been gathered from various sources to reflect current and historial usage. They do not represent the opinions of YourDictionary.com.