Lade sentence example
- lade runs through the garden with the original mill wheel on the fringe.
- Uhtred was slain by the orders of Canute, who gave the province to Eric (Eirikr) earl of Lade.
- "Lade,"; and R.
- Though it joined in the Ionian revolt against Persia in 500 it was able to send only three ships to the combined fleet which fought at Lade.
- 383 ff.; Zimmern, Die Keilinschriften and das Alte Testament, pp. 529 f., 631 f.; Dibelius, Die Lade Jahves (1906), pp. 72-86.Advertisement
- This connexion is more clear in the case of Thorger6r HOlgabruor, who is known chiefly from the extreme veneration paid to her by Haakon, earl of Lade (+995).
- In the year 1 000, when the Norwegian king was in Pomerania, a coalition was formed between the king of Sweden, Sweyn Forkbeard, king of Denmark, and earl Eric of Lade, and the allies waylaid their enemy off the coast near Riigen and overthrew him in Reign of the great sea-battle of Svolder.
- Similar commercial considerations determined the Chians in their attitude towards the Persian conquerors: in 546 they submitted to Cyrus as eagerly as Phocaea resisted him; during the Ionian revolt their fleet of too sail joined the Milesians in offering a desperate opposition at Lade (494).
- But the fleet of the Ionians was defeated off the island of Lade, and the destruction of Miletus after a protracted siege was followed by the reconquest of all the Asiatic Greeks, insular as well as continental.