Labiate sentence example
- Handsome labiate plants, requiring a warm and well-drained soil.
- Mussinii, i ft., is a compactly spreading greyishleaved labiate, with lavender-blue flowers, and is sometimes used for bedding or for marginal lines in large compound beds.
- Labiate, composite and umbelliferous plants are most common.
- In Labiate plants, as the dead-nettle (Lamium), the flowers are produced in the axil of each of the foliage leaves of the plant, and they appear as if arranged in a simple whorl of flowers.
- Thus, in many Caryophyllaceae, as Polycarpon and Holosteum, while the calyx and corolla are pentamerous, there are only three or four stamens and three carpels; in Impatiens Noli-me-tangere the calyx is composed of three parts, while the other verticils have five; in labiate flowers there are five parts of the calyx and corolla, and only four stamens; and in Tropaeolum pentaphyllum there are five sepals, two petals, eight stamens and three carpels.Advertisement
- The cohesion is sometimes irregular, some parts uniting to a greater extent than others; thus a two-lipped or labiate calyx is formed.
- The labiate corolla characterizes the natural order Labiatae.
- Between the two lips there is a gap. The throat is the part where the tube and the labiate limb join.
- Labiate plants have decussate leaves, while Boragin aceae have alternate leaves, and Tiliaceae usua ally have distichous leaves; Rubiaceae have opposite leaves.
- Handsome labiate plants, flowering towards autumn, and preferring a cool soil and partially shaded situation.Advertisement