Labellum sentence example
- 1 being the label ps, The superior division or lum, here inferior the labellum, which may by the twisting become inferior by the of the ovary.
- So different is it that it receives a distinct name, that of the "lip" or "labellum."
- Floral diagram of typical orchid flower; 1, labellum; a, anther; s, rudiments of barren stamens (staminodes).
- The letter L indicates the position of the labellum; the large figures indicate the developed stamens; the italic figures show the position of the suppressed stamens.
- Sometimes the twisting of a part makes a change in the position of other parts, as in Orchids, where the twisting of the ovary changes the position of the labellum.Advertisement
- In some corollas the two lips become hollowed out in a remarkable manner, as in calceolaria, assuming a slipper-like appearance, similar to what occurs in the labellum of some orchids, as Cypripedium.