Knolls sentence example
- Where the rock projects it more usually appears in low crags and knolls, from which long trails of grey or purple debris descend till they are lost among the grass.
- I wandered around the ponds, up hills and down grassy knolls.
- The direct passes across it from Herat (the Baba and the Ardewan) wind amongst masses of disintegrating sandstone for some miles on each side of the dividing watershed, but farther west the rounded knolls of the rain-washed downs may be crossed almost at any point without difficulty.
- These various rocky masses, presenting great differences in their powers of resisting decay, have yielded unequally to disintegration: the harder portions project in rocky knolls, crags and cliffs, while the softer parts have been worn down into more flowing outlines.
- Some outcrops of limestone in the Clitheroe area, for example, have been derived from reef knolls formed in a prehistoric sea.Advertisement
- The fairies (see Fairy), located in the fairy knolls by the inhabitants of the Shetlands, may also be put under this head.
- The position of Colonus itself is marked by two bare knolls of lightcoloured earth, which caused the poet in the same chorus tc apply the epithet "white" (ap'yii-ra) to that place.
- Mere Knolls is the final resting place of several war casualties too, as well as pitman and Sunderland shipyard owner Robert Thompson.
- The beauty of its habit is seldom seen in gardens, owing to being too much crowded, but seen wild its habit is most graceful, and it might be well to secure the same beauty of habit by planting in groups upon exposed knolls.
- The summit is a plateau from which three rocky knolls rise up, that on the west being the lowest, that on the south-east the highest.Advertisement