Kharput sentence example
- In 1123 he was captured by Balak of Mardin, and confined in Kharput with Joscelin, his successor in the county of Edessa, who had been captured in the previous year.
- Happily for Kaikobad, the princes mistrusted the power of the Egyptian, and it proved a difficult task to penetrate through the mountainous, well-fortified accesses to the interior of Asia Minor, so that the advantage rested with Kaikobad, who took Kharput, and for some time even held Harran, Ar-Roha and Rakka (1232).
- Kharput probably stands on or near the site of Carcathiocerta in Sophene, reached by Corbulo in A.D.
- The early Moslem geographers knew it as Hisn Ziyad, but the Armenian name was Khartabirt or Kharbirt, whence Kharput.
- Kharput is an important station of the American missionaries, who have built a college, a theological seminary, and boys' and girls' schools.Advertisement
- In November 1895 Kurds looted and burned the Armenian villages on the plain; and in the same month Kharput was attacked and the American schools were burned down.
- The vilayet Kharput was founded in 1888, being the result of a provincial rearrangement, designed to ensure better control over the disturbed districts of Kurdistan.
- There is a good road to Aleppo and Alexandretta on the Mediterranean, and to Samsun on the Black Sea by Kharput, Malatia and Sivas.
- There are also roads to Kars, Bayazid, Erzingan and Kharput.
- The Malatia, including that of Kharput, second, and the Sile, third in quality.Advertisement
- The missionaries afterwards founded colleges on the Bosporus, at Kharput, Marsivan and Aintab, to supply the needs of higher university education, and they opened good schools for both sexes at all their stations.
- Throughout 1894 the state of the country bordered upon anarchy, and during the winter of 1894-1895 the British government, with lukewarm support from France and Russia, pressed for administrative reforms in the vilayets of Erzerum, Van, Bitlis, Sivas, Memuret-el-Aziz (Kharput) and Diarbekr.
- The damage to the American buildings at Kharput was due to direct disobedience of orders.
- At Kharput artillery was used.
- In some districts, especially in the Kharput vilayet, the cry of " Islam or death " was raised.Advertisement