Khalif sentence example
- In Kordofan in 1899 the khalif a met his death, the country having already passed into the hands of the new Sudan government.
- Though the Khalif were hapless as Bayezid, cruel as Murad, or mad as Ibrahim, he is the shadow of God, and every Moslem must leap up at his call ou will say, The Egyptian is more ungrateful than a dog, which remembers the hand that fed him.
- He was succeeded by the principal khalif a, Abdullah ci Taaisha, a Baggara Arab, who for the next thirteen years ruled the Sudan with despotic power.
- The escape from Omdurman of Father Ohrwalder and of two of the captive nuns in December 1891, of Father Rossignoli in October 1894, and of Siatin Bey in February 1895, revealed the condition of the Sudan to the outside world, threw a vivid light on the rule of the khalif a, and corroborated information already received of the discontent which existed among the tribes with the oppression and despotism under which they lived.
- This action proved the final blow ~~afu to the dervish power in the neighborhood of Suakin, for although raiding continued on a small scale, the tribes were growing tired of the khalif as rule and refused to support Osman Digna.Advertisement
- Osman wad Adam (Ganu), amir of Kordofan, was sent by the khalif a to Karamallas assistance.
- - In the autumn of 1899 the khalif a was at Jebel Gedir, a hill in southern Kordofan, about 80 m.
- Troops and transport were then concentrated at Faki Kohi, and Colonel Wingate sent with reinforcements from Khartum to take command of the expedition and march to Gedid, where it was anticipated the khalif a would be obliged to halt.
- They were repulsed with great slaughter, and Wingate of advancing, carried the camp. The khalif a Abdullah khalifa.
- Mahommed Ahmed had, in accordance with the traditions which required the Mandi to have four khalif as (lieutenants), nominated, besides Abdullah, Ali wad Helu, a sheikh of the Degheim and Kenana Arabs, and Mahommed esh Sherif, his son-in-law, as khalifas.Advertisement