Keene-s-cement sentence example
- They include plaster of Paris, Keene's cement and many variants of these two types.
- If a cement of the Keene's cement class is to be prepared the temperature used is higher, e.g.
- The principles which govern the preparation and setting of the other class of calcium sulphate cements, that is, cements of the Keene class, are not fully understood, but there is a fair amount of knowledge on the subject, both empirical and scientific. The essential difference between the setting of Keene's cement and that of plaster of Paris is that the former takes place much more slowly, occupying hours instead of minutes, and the considerable heating and expansion which characterize the setting of plaster of Paris are much less marked.
- It is the practice in Great Britain to burn pure gypsum at a low temperature so as to convert it into the hydrate 2CaSO 4 H 2 O, to soak the lumps in a solution of alum or of aluminium sulphate, and to recalcine them at about 500° C. On grinding they give Keene's cement.
- The quantity of these materials is so small that analyses of Keene's cement show it to be almost pure anhydrous calcium sulphate, and make it difficult to explain what, if any, influence these minute amounts of alum and the like can exert on the setting of the cement.Advertisement
- The setting of Keene's cement takes place by the same sort of process which has been described for the setting of plaster of Paris, the chief differences being that the substance dissolved is anhydrous calcium sulphate and that the operation takes a longer time.
- It is the practice in Great Britain to burn pure gypsum at a low temperature so as to convert it into the hydrate 2CaSO 4 H 2 O, to soak the lumps in a solution of alum or of aluminium sulphate, and to recalcine them at about 500Ã‚° C. On grinding they give Keene's cement.