Kaffir-corn sentence example
- In nonArabic-speaking countries it is known by other names, such as Indian or African millet, pearl millet, Guinea corn and Kaffir corn.
- Besides maize the crops cultivated by the natives are Kaffir corn or amabele (Sorghum caffrorum)- used in the manufacture of utyuala, native beer - imfi (Sorghum saccharatum), tobacco, pumpkins and sweet potatoes.
- The chief crop is mealies, the staple food of the natives; wheat, oathay, Kaffir corn and oats coming next.
- The principal cereal crops are wheat, with a yield of 1,701,000 bushels in 1904, oats, barley, rye, mealies (Indian corn) and Kaffir corn (a kind of millet).
- Mealies (extensively used as food for cattle and horses) are very largely grown by the coloured population and Kaffir corn almost exclusively so.Advertisement