Kabyles sentence example
- Philological investigations show that it is probable that the progenitors I From the enlistment of Kabyles speaking the Zouave dialect the Zouave regiments of the French army came to be so called.
- Traces of Christianity remained among the Kabyles till after the conquest of Granada (1492),(1492), when the influx of Andalusian Moors from Spain completed the conversion of those tribes.
- His fervent faith in the doctrines of Islam was unquestioned, and his ultimate failure was due in considerable measure to the refusal of the Kabyles, Berber mountain tribes whose Mahommedanism is somewhat loosely held, to make common cause with the Arabs against the French.
- Its fruit forms one of the staple articles of food among the Kabyles.
- The Kabyles, a division of the Berbers, occupy chiefly the more mountainous parts of the Tell, but some live in the plains and valleys.Advertisement
- The Kabyles, Mzabites, Tuareg, Arabs and Moors all profess Mahommedanism, though it is only among the Arabs that its tenets are held in any purity.
- Its market is attended by Kabyles, Arabs of the plateaus and people from the Sahara.
- Except among the Kabyles, private property in land was unknown.
- He beat the French at Sidi Brahim, raided the tribes of the Tell Oranais which had abandoned him, penetrated as far as the borders of the Metija, and reached the Jurjura, where he endeavoured to rouse the Kabyles.
- To speak of more modern times there can be enumerated the Zouaoua and Jebalia (Tripoli and Tunisia); the Chauwia, Kabyles and Beni-Mzab (Algeria); the Shluh (Chlouah), Amazigh and Berbers (Morocco); the Tuareg, Amoshagh, Sorgu, &c. (Sahara).Advertisement
- The Kabyles understand grafting, have fine orchards and grow vines.
- Among the Kabyles the adulteress is put to death, as are those women who have illegitimate children, the latter suffering with their mothers.
- In 1826 Constantine asserted its independence of the dey of Algiers, and was governed by Haji Ahmed, the choice of the Kabyles.
- See further Berbers, Morocco, Moors, Kabyles, Mzabites.