Justiciars sentence example
- Hubert de Burgh was the last of the great justiciars; after his fall (1231) the justiciarship was not again committed to a great baron, and the chancellor soon took the position formerly occupied by the justiciar as second to the king in dignity, as well as in power and influence.
- In that rough age crimes of violence predominated, and the king's justiciars regularly perambulated the land in search of offenders, and decimated every village which refused to surrender fugitive criminals.
- In constitutional history he is remembered as the last of the great justiciars.
- The early justiciars were clerics, in whom the possession of power could not become hereditary.
- The justiciar continued to be the chief officer of state, next to the king, until the fall of Hubert de Burgh (in the reign of King John), described by Stubbs as the last of the great justiciars.Advertisement
- His justiciars, and especially Hubert Walter, were responsible for several innovations which were to have far-spreading results.