Jurymen sentence example
- Chief of all, he provided a remuneration of 1 to 2 obols a day for the jurymen, probably in 451.4 Similarly he created a"theoricon" fund which enabled poor citizens to attend the dramatic representations of the Dionysia.
- (a) Hitherto, the list of jurymen for service in the majority of processes, both civil and criminal, had been composed exclusively of senators.
- But the verdict was looked upon with suspicion, and it was known for a fact that one of the jurymen had received a large sum of money for distribution amongst his colleagues.
- The result was the degradation of Cluentius himself and several of the jurymen.
- But even if it could be shown that Cluentius had bribed the jurymen, this did not prove that he had poisoned Oppianicus, although it supplied a sufficient reason for wishing to get him out of the way.Advertisement
- Trial by jury has been introduced; but as natives are not allowed to act as jurymen this has often led to serious miscarriages of justice and to excessive severities.
- He strengthened his hold on the poorer classes by his measure for trebling the pay of the jurymen, which provided the poorer Athenians with an easy means of livelihood.
- The jurymen were fined and sent to prison, and Throckmorton was detained in the Tower till the following year.