Jurymen sentence example
- Chief of all, he provided a remuneration of 1 to 2 obols a day for the jurymen, probably in 451.4 Similarly he created a"theoricon" fund which enabled poor citizens to attend the dramatic representations of the Dionysia.
- QUINTUS SERVILIUS CAEPIO, Roman general, consul 106 B.C. During his year of office, he brought forward a law by which the jurymen were again to be chosen from the senators instead of the equites (Tacitus, Ann.
- (a) Hitherto, the list of jurymen for service in the majority of processes, both civil and criminal, had been composed exclusively of senators.
- But the verdict was looked upon with suspicion, and it was known for a fact that one of the jurymen had received a large sum of money for distribution amongst his colleagues.
- The result was the degradation of Cluentius himself and several of the jurymen.Advertisement
- But even if it could be shown that Cluentius had bribed the jurymen, this did not prove that he had poisoned Oppianicus, although it supplied a sufficient reason for wishing to get him out of the way.
- Trial by jury has been introduced; but as natives are not allowed to act as jurymen this has often led to serious miscarriages of justice and to excessive severities.
- The archons as a body retained some duties such as the appointment of jurymen, the sortition of the athlothetae, &c. (but see Gilbert's Antiquities, Eng.
- He strengthened his hold on the poorer classes by his measure for trebling the pay of the jurymen, which provided the poorer Athenians with an easy means of livelihood.
- Apparently Gracchus at first proposed to create new senators from the equites and to select the jurymen from this mixed body, but this moderate proposal was rejected in favour of one more radical (see W.Advertisement
- The jurymen were fined and sent to prison, and Throckmorton was detained in the Tower till the following year.