Jousts sentence example
- Among its chief features are the Virgin Martyrs' Memorial, representing in white marble a guardian angel and the figures of Margaret M`Lauchlan and Margaret Wilson, who were drowned by the rising tide in Wigtown Bay for their fidelity to the Covenant (1685);(1685); the large pyramid to the memory of the Covenanters, and the Ladies' Rock, from which ladies viewed the jousts in the Valley.
- Such a circumstance occurring at a time of general festivity, when devices, mottoes and conceits of all kinds were adopted as ornaments or badges of the habits worn at jousts and tournaments, would naturally have been commemorated as other royal expressions seem to have been by its conversion into a device and motto for the dresses at an approaching hastilude."
- jousts verbally with Val, an eerily maternal former lover, who reminds him that the war came here too.
- On its flags were fought out many feuds between rival gilds; Egmont and Horn, and many other gallant men whose names have been forgotten, were executed here under the shadow of its ancient buildings, and in more recent times Dumouriez proclaimed the French Republic where the dukes of Brabant and Burgundy were wont to hold their jousts.
- I've actually enjoyed your verbal jousts with Paul; I've never once questioned you or demanded any evidence.Advertisement
- I do enjoy having a few little verbal jousts and you're very good at tempting me into indiscretion.
- The playacting will allow you to thither, thou, and thee with the locals and dance around the maypoles, play in the parade and cheer at the jousts with a fervor and abandon.