John xxiii sentence example
- To the south of this village, on the Rhine, was the castle of Eicholzheim, which acquired some celebrity as the place of confinement assigned to Pope John XXIII.
- Convinced as he was of the necessity for union and reform, he contributed more than any one to the adoption of the principle that, since the schism had survived the council of Pisa, it was necessary again to take up the work for a fundamental union, without considering the rights of John XXIII.
- During the year 1413 the arrangements for the meeting of a general council at Constance were agreed upon between Sigismund and Pope John XXIII.
- While the commission was engaged in the prosecution of its enquiries, the flight of Pope John XXIII.
- The cardinals at once elected his successor - Baldassare Cossa, who took the name of John XXIII.Advertisement
- True, it cannot be demonstrated that all the fearful accusations afterwards levelled at John XXIII.
- The capture of Rome by King Ladislaus of Naples had compelled John XXIII.
- On the 29th of May the council deposed John XXIII.
- A rumour went about that he had been poisoned by the cardinal Baldassare Cossa, impatient to be his successor, who succeeded him in fact under the name of John XXIII.
- In 1397 he had sought to vindicate his right of visitation over the university of Oxford, but the dispute remained unsettled until 1411 when a bull was issued by Pope John XXIII.Advertisement
- But the dispersion of Louis of Anjou's troops and his carelessness, together with the lack of success which attended the preaching of a crusade in Germany, France and England, finally decided John XXIII.
- This was a fatal step: John XXIII.
- (fn1) (Additional footnote from the editor of the online version) Please note this is John XXIII, pope, or rather anti-pope from 1410 to 1415, not Pope John XXIII (1958-1963).
- Forgetting these benefits, the cardinal of Cambrai was one of the most formidable adversaries of John XXIII.
- In one instance, they both saw Pope John XXIII appear within a blue light.Advertisement