Jhansi sentence example
- A branch railway from Manikpur to Jhansi traverses the length of the district, which is also crossed by the East Indian main line to Jubbulpore.
- There is a branch railway from Itarsi to Bhopal city, continued to Jhansi.
- It is traversed by the branch of the Indian Midland railway from Jhansi to Gwalior.
- Historically it includes the five British districts of Hamirpur, Jalaun, Jhansi, Lalitpur and Banda, which now form part of the Allahabad division of the United Provinces, but politically it is restricted to a collection of native states, under the Bundelkhand agency.
- During the mutiny of 1857, however, many of the chiefs rose against the British, the rani of Jhansi being a notable example.Advertisement
- It comprises the seven districts of Cawnpore, Fatehpur, Banda, Hamirpur, Allahabad, Jhansi and Jalaun.
- It was formerly a British military cantonment and residence of a political agent, but in 1886, when the fortress of Gwalior was restored to Sindhia, the troops at Morar were withdrawn to Jhansi, and the extensive barracks were likewise made over to Sindhia.
- The state is crossed by the Indian Midland railway from Jhansi to Agra.
- In 1853 Jhansi suffered the same fate as Satara.
- South of the Jumna is the poor and backward region of Bundelkhand, comprising the districts of Jalaun, Jhansi, Hamirpur and Banda.Advertisement
- Chief among these was Dalhousie's policy of annexation, which brought under British dominion such small states as Satara, Nagpur and Jhansi, and finally the kingdom of Oudh.
- The rani of Jhansi also rose in rebellion, to become known as "the best man upon the side of the enemy."
- On the 3rd of March he forced the pass of Madanpur, and took the whole of the enemy's defences in rear, throwing them into panic. On the 21st he began the siege of Jhansi, the stronghold of the mutineers in Central India, with a garrison of I i,000 men.
- This victory was won on the ist of April, and two days later Sir Hugh carried Jhansi by assault.
- News now arrived that the rebel army under Tantia Topi and the rani of Jhansi had attacked Sindhia, whose troops had gone over to the rebels and delivered Gwalior into their hands.Advertisement
- The 5th division, with headquarters at Mhow, consists of three brigades, located at Nasirabad, Jubbulpore and Jhansi, and includes the previous Mhow, Deesa, Nagpur, Nerbudda and Bundelkhand districts, with the Bombay district north of the Tapti.
- Together with the Rani of Jhansi he was besieged by Sir Hugh Rose in the Jhansi fort, but escaped and collected a force of 20,000 men which Sir Hugh defeated without relaxing the siege.
- About Datia and Jhansi the inhabitants are a stout and handsome race of men, well off and contented.