Javan sentence example
- Joel complains that they were sold to the Grecians (Javan, Ionians).2 It is probable that some Hebrew and Syrian slaves were exported to the Mediterranean coasts from a very early date, and Isa.
- And the name of Javan is not found in any part of the Old Testament certainly older than Ezekiel.
- It is the smallest of all the species, and its geographical range is nearly the same as that of the Javan species, though not extending into Java; it has been found in Assam, Chittagong, Burma, the Malay Peninsula, Sumatra and Borneo.
- This is corroborated by Javan records, which describe a" Cambodian "invasion about 1340; but Cambodia was itself invaded about this time by the Siamese, who took Angkor and held it for a time, carrying off 90,000 captives.
- The Javan Pithechirus has the thumb opposable, while the Papuan Chiruromys has the tip of the tail naked above and prehensile.Advertisement
- Volcanic rocks are also present but they are not so extensively developed as in the islands of the Javan arc. The Permian beds consist chiefly of limestone and contain numerous fossils similar to those of the middle and upper divisions of the Productus limestone of northern India and the Artinsk stage of the Urals.
- At any rate, Io may have been a small early colony of trading Greeks (Javan).
- Old y often appears as j: Zend yOma (glass), New Persian jam; yavan (a youth), New Persian javan.
- The rusa, or Javan sambar, C. (R.) hippelaphus, is a lighter-coloured and smaller deer than the Indian sambar, with longer, slenderer and less rugged antlers.
- Later allusions show that on Semitic lips Javan meant western traders in general.Advertisement
- Thus the allusion to Javan in Joel better suits a later date, when Syrian slaves were in special request in Greece.'