Jaurès sentence example
- From this he passed to the Petite Republique, leaving it to found, with Jean Jaures, L'Humanite.
- Guesde, nevertheless, continued to oppose the opportunist policy of Jaures, whom he denounced for supporting one bourgeois party against another.
- JEAN LEON JAURES (1859-), French Socialist leader, was born at Castres (Tarn) on the 3rd of September 1859.
- Jaures and Guesde, ceased to co-operate with the radicals and radical-socialists, and became known as the unified socialists, pledged to advance a collectivist programme.
- Jaures was again elected for the Tarn.Advertisement
- Jaures, in addition to his daily journalistic activity, published Les preuves; affaire Dreyfus (1900); Action socialiste (1899); Etudes socialistes (1902), and, with other collaborators, Histoire socialiste (1901), &c.
- The strike of miners in the Pas de Calais after the disaster at Courrieres, leading to the threat of disorder on the 1st of May 1906, obliged him to employ the military; and his attitude in the matter alienated the Socialist party, from which he definitely broke in his notable reply in the Chamber to Jean Jaures in June 1906.
- Jaures, and on the 13th of January 1905 he was one of the leaders of the opposition which brought about the fall of the cabinet.
- "JEAN JAURES (1859-1914), French Socialist leader (see 15.283), was already in 1910 the recognized leader of the Unified Socialists in the Chamber of Deputies.
- As opposed to Jaures, he contended that the Socialists should co-operate actively with the Radicals in all matters of reform, and not stand aloof to await the complete fulfilment of their ideals.Advertisement