Japheth sentence example
- "Meshech" and "Tubal" are no hindrance to this view, if the names of the so-called "sons of Japheth" are critically examined.
- Shem is probably Israel; Canaan, of course, the Canaanites; by analogy, Japheth should be some third element of the population of Palestine - the Philistines or 'the Phoenicians have been suggested.
- The sense of the second line is doubtful, it may be "let God dwell" or "let Japheth dwell"; on the latter view Japheth appears to be in friendly alliance with Shem.
- The words might mean that Japheth was an intruding invader, but this is not consonant with the tone of the oracle.
- Possibly Japheth is only present in Gen.Advertisement
- 20-27 through corruption of the text, Japheth may be an accidental repetition of yapht "may he enlarge," misread as a proper name.
- Japheth is the northern and western division of the nations; being perhaps used as a convenient title under which to group the more remote peoples who were not thought of as standing in ethnic or political connexion with Israel or Egypt.
- The similarity of the name Japheth to the Titan Iapetos of Greek mythology is probably a mere accident.
- A place Japheth is mentioned in Judith ii.
- Noah, the father of Ham, Shem and Japheth, appears as the hero in the Hebrew version of the flood (see Deluge; Noah).Advertisement