Jagir sentence example
- He was the son of Shahji Bhonsla, a Mahratta soldier of fortune who held a jagir under the Bijapur government.
- The distinction between khalsa land, or the imperial demesne, and jagir lands, granted revenue free or at quit rent in reward for services, also dates from the time of Akbar.
- Clive's jagir, as it was called, subsequently became a matter of inquiry in England, and on his death it passed to the company, thus merging the zamindari in the proprietary rights.
- In 1758, Nanjiraj, the powerful minister of the raja, caused Bangalore to be granted, as a jagir or fief, to Hyder Ali, afterwards usurper of Mysore, who greatly enlarged and strengthened the fort, which, in 1760, on his expulsion from Seringapatam, served as his refuge from destruction.
- In 1857 Raja Ratan Singh received a hereditary salute of 11 guns, a khilat and a perpetual jagir of 1300 a year in recognition of his services during the Mutiny.Advertisement