Iowa city sentence example
- It is served by two branches of the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific railroad, and by:the Iowa City & Cedar Rapids Interurban railway (electric), of which it is a terminus.
- Iowa City is the seat of the state university of Iowa, of Iowa City Academy, of the library of the State Historical Society and of the state Sanatorium for the Treatment of Tuberculosis.
- In 1839 Iowa City was selected as the site for the seat of government of the newly created Territory of Iowa.
- In 1843 the site was opened to settlement by the whites; in 1851 Des Moines was incorporated as a town; in 1857 it was first chartered as a city, and, for the purpose of a more central location, the seat of government was removed hither from Iowa City.
- The state established a university at Iowa City in 1847, a State Agricultural College and Model Farm in 1858 (opened at Ames in 1869 as the Iowa State College of Agriculture and the Mechanic Arts), an Agricultural Experiment Station in 1887, an Engineering Experiment Station in 1904, and a normal school at Cedar Falls in 1876.Advertisement
- The Iowa City Yoga Festival, launched in 2010, brings well-known yoga instructors and musicians to the Midwestern city for a weekend of education, exploration and celebration.