Intersex sentence example
- Since the mid-1950s, doctors have typically assigned a sex to an intersex infant based on how easy reconstructive surgery would be.
- A good example of this, which will be discussed elsewhere on this site, is the intersex condition, five alpha reductase deficiency.
- Persons with intersex states can be classified as a true hermaphrodite, a female pseudohermaphrodite, or a male pseudohermaphrodite.
- Intersex males may have testes and a female-like vulva, or a very small penis.
- Any abnormality in chromosomes or sex hormones, or in the unborn baby's response to the hormones, can lead to an intersex state in a newborn.Advertisement
- Intersex states may also be caused by a condition called congenital adrenal hyperplasia, which occurs in about one out of every 5,000 newborns.
- Treatment of intersex states is controversial.
- Counseling should be given to the entire family of an intersex newborn.
- Some people are critical of this approach, including intersex adults who were operated on as children.
- "Assigning gender to babies with intersex anomalies."Advertisement
- Biswas, K., et al. "Imaging in intersex disorders."
- "Communicating with parents of the newborn with intersex: transcript of an interview."
- This is not common among the intersex population.
- Intersex states are conditions where a newborn's sex organs (genitals) look unusual, making it impossible to identify the gender of the baby from its outward appearance.
- Intersex individuals can have both male and female traits in some cases, making it possible for a person who is apparently a man to have female reproductive organs.Advertisement