Intermediate host sentence example
- Before the end of the 19th century this discovery of the blood parasite of malaria was crowned by the hypothesis of Patrick Manson, proved by Ronald Ross, that malaria is propagated by a certain genus of gnat, which acts as an intermediate host of the parasite.
- The embryo is provided with ten hooks, and appears to select Lamellibranchs (Mactra) for its intermediate host.
- Such is the general history of Cestodes whose intermediate host is an Invertebrate.
- The ciliated larva escapes from the egg into the water and enters an intermediate host (leech, mollusc, arthropod, batrachian or fish) where it undergoes a metamorphosis into a second stage in which most of the adult organs are present.
- Unlike the tapeworm no intermediate host is required for the development of this worm.Advertisement
- In 1894, however, Sir Patrick Manson, arguing with greater precision by analogy from his own discovery of the cause of filariasis and the part played by mosquitoes, suggested that the malarial parasite had a similar intermediate host outside the human body, and that a suctorial insect, which would probably be found to be a particular mosquito, was required for its development.
- Man himself, as well as other mammals, is the intermediate host of the dangerous parasite, Taenia echinococcus, in countries where cleanliness is neglected; the pig is the host of Taenia solium, and other cases may be seen from the table at the end of this article.
- Fleas are also an intermediate host for tapeworms, which can infest your dog's intestinal track and require an oral medication for treatment.