Interceded sentence example
- The priest also offered prayer, interceded, &c. I cannot see that he taught.
- The bishop of the diocese, Dr Barlow, is said to have interceded for him.
- Her kindness and warmth endeared her to the Protectorate court, where she often interceded for Royalist prisoners.
- She interceded with great generosity, but ineffectually, for Monmouth the same year.
- He interceded for her in vain with the king, as he had done in the cases of Fisher, More and the monks of Christchurch.Advertisement
- On the 6th of December he protested with three other peers against the measure sent up from the Commons enforcing the disarming of all convicted recusants and taking bail from them to keep the peace; he was the only peer to dissent from the motion declaring the existence of an Irish plot; and though believing in the guilt and voting for the death of Lord Stafford, he interceded, according to his own account, 3 with the king for him as well as for Langhorne and Plunket.
- He interceded for Waltheof's life and to the last spoke of the earl as an innocent sufferer for the crimes of others; he lived on terms of friendship with Bishop Wulfstan.
- They prayed for the auditores, they blessed them and interceded for them, thereby shortening the process of purification the latter had to pass through after death.
- When Elizabeth was sent to the Tower (18th of March 1 554), Feckenham interceded for her life and liberty, even at the cost of displeasing the queen.
- Whittier, the Quaker poet, interceded with Henry Clay to pay Garrison's fine and thus release him from prison.Advertisement
- He mistrusted also his brothers Mowayyad and Mowaffaq, who had interceded for them.
- In the time of Caesar they were dependents of the Remi, who on one occasion interceded for them.
- She interceded in 1331 with the king for some carpenters whose careless work on a platform resulted in an accident to herself and her ladies, and on 'a more famous occasion her prayers saved the citizens of Calais from Edward's vengeance.
- On these terms the synod interceded with the Genevese to restore their pastors; but through the opposition of some of the Bernese (especially Peter Kuntz, the pastor of that city) this was frustrated, and a second edict of banishment was the only response.
- In religious matters he interceded with the emperor and the diet for the Protestants, and sought, but without success, to bring about a reconciliation between Lutherans and Calvinists in Brandenburg.Advertisement
- If an Ethiopian Gentile had not interceded on his behalf, Jeremiah would have died there.
- "It was my fault, mon pere," interceded the little princess, with a blush.