Infinitesimal-calculus sentence example
- While still an undergraduate he formed a league with John Herschel and Charles Babbage, to conduct the famous struggle of "d-ism versus dot-age," which ended in the introduction into Cambridge of the continental notation in the infinitesimal calculus to the exclusion of the fluxional notation of Sir Isaac Newton.
- Phillips, 1896); A Brief Introduction to the Infinitesimal Calculus (1897); The Nature of Capital and Income (1906); The Rate of Interest 0907); National Vitality (1909); The Purchasing Power of Money (1911); Elementary Principles of Economics (1913); Why is the Dollar Shrinking?
- The former was professor of mathematics at Bologna, and published, among other works, a treatise on the infinitesimal calculus.
- He at once took a leading position in the mathematical teaching of the university, and published treatises on the Di f ferential calculus (in 1848) and the Infinitesimal calculus (4 vols., 1852-1860), which for long were the recognized textbooks there.
- General aspects of the subject are considered under Mensuration; Vector Analysis; Infinitesimal Calculus.Advertisement
- The idea is utilized in the elementary consideration :of a differential coefficient; and its importation into the treatment of certain functions as continuous is therefore properly associated with the infinitesimal calculus.
- The discoveries of Johann Kepler and Bonaventura Cavalieri were the foundation upon which Sir Isaac Newton and Gottfried Wilhelm Leibnitz erected that wonderful edifice, the Infinitesimal Calculus.
- He also showed that the roots of a cubic equation can be derived by means of the infinitesimal calculus.
- Beyond this point, analytical methods must be adopted, and the student passes to trigonometry and the infinitesimal calculus.
- made up of a number of successive elements, so that the analytical treatment involves the ideas and the methods of the infinitesimal calculus.Advertisement
- In the pursuit of this inquiry he rashly invaded other departments of science, and much of the Common Place Book is occupied with a polemic, as vigorous as it is ignorant, against the fundamental conceptions of the infinitesimal calculus.
- Along with Sir John Herschel and George Peacock he laboured to raise the standard of mathematical instruction in England, and especially endeavoured to supersede the Newtonian by the Leibnitzian notation in the infinitesimal calculus.
- reference may be made to articles Mechanics and Infinitesimal Calculus.
- A notion related to that of infinitesimals is presented in the Greek " method of exhaustion "; the more perfect conception, however, only dates from the 17th century, when it led to the infinitesimal calculus.
- They afford yet another great advantage in that the derivation of the results requires only the analytic operations of the infinitesimal calculus.Advertisement