Infinite-regress sentence example
- If we reject the infinite regress and the circle in proof (circulus in probando) which resolves itself ultimately into proving A by B and B by A, 7 we are confronted by the need for principles of two kinds, those which condition all search scientific for truth, and those which are the peculiar or proper principles.
- Once applied to the facts at all, it would drive us beyond the first antecedent or term of antecedents of volition to a still further cause or ground - in fact, land us in an infinite regress of causes.
- The former should be regarded as asserting that the whole is, not temporally, but logically, subsequent to the part, and that therefore there is an infinite regress in the notion of a whole which is infinitely divisible - a view which at any rate demands a serious refutation.
- And avoid the potential infinite regress of symbolic meaning by being fully grounded in the real world.
- If from another, then we have an unsatisfactory infinite regress of explanations.Advertisement
- At some point the system and the meta-system might be indistinguishable, although this may involve a virtually infinite regress.
- Mutual belief is defined in terms of an infinite regress of nested beliefs.