Indiction sentence example
- The Saros of the Chaldaeans, the Olympiad of the Greeks, and the Roman Indiction are instances of this mode of reckoning time.
- Before its adoption the usual practice in Latin countries was to distinguish the years by their number in the cycle of Indiction.
- The cycle of Indiction was very generally followed in the Roman empire for some centuries before the adoption of the Christian era.
- This was also called the Caesarean Indiction.
- By extending it backwards, it will be found that the first of the era was the fourth of the cycle of indiction.Advertisement
- This number is called the Golden Number, either because will therefore be given by the formula (x 1 53) r, that is to say, add 3 totlzedate,divide the sum by 15, and the remainder is the year of the indiction.
- Will be followed by an numerical indiction of how far the progress has gone.
- The Constantinopolitan Indiction, like the Greek year, commenced with the month of September.
- The Imperial or Constantinian Indiction is so called because its establishment is attributed to Constantine.
- The Roman or Pontifical Indiction began on the 25th of December or 1st of January, according as the Christian year was held to begin on the one or other of these days.Advertisement
- Besides the solar and lunar cycles, there is a third of 15 years, called the cycle of indiction, frequently employed in the computations of chronologists.
- The Julian period, proposed by the celebrated Joseph Scaliger as an universal measure of chronology, is formed by taking the continued product of the three cycles of the sun, of the moon, and of the indiction,and is consequently 28 X 19X I 5= 7980 years.
- We have already seen that the year 1 of the era had Io for its number in the solar cycle, 2 in the lunar cycle, and 4 in the cycle of indiction; the question is therefore to find a number such, that Iv.