Indentured sentence example
- Slavery and Freedom Walk: This educational tour schools visitors about Charleston’s role in slavery and how freedom came about for millions of indentured servants.
- This commission reported in 1909, its general conclusion being that in the interests of Natal the importation of indentured Indian labour should not be discontinued.
- They were accompanied also by a small retinue of indentured male and female servants.
- So at the age of fifteen, he signed up with his father's approval as an indentured apprentice onboard the " Oneida " .
- The supply of indentured servants from England was soon inadequate to meet the labor needs of the sugar industry.Advertisement
- Many were only forced into indentured servitude, laboring in apple orchards for large landowners.
- For sugar, tea and wattle growing, farming, coalmining and other industries indentured Indian labour appeared to be essential.
- On the other hand, considerable detail is included regarding the indentured labourers recruited from India, and those of this class who are permanently settled on the land in Guiana and Trinidad.
- After receiving a somewhat imperfect education from a private tutor, he was in 1712 indentured to a writer to the signet in Edinburgh, but an accidental introduction to Sir Hew Dalrymple, then president of the court of session, determined him to aspire to the position of advocate.
- When this was done the local legislatures saw that the slaves would no longer work for the masters; they accordingly cut off two years of the indentured apprenticeship, and gave freedom to the slaves in August 1838 instead of 1840.Advertisement
- There are sugar factories, where rum is also distilled and a few other manufactures, but the prosperity of the province depends on the "jungle" products obtained through the natives and from the plantations owned by Portuguese and worked by indentured labour, the labourers being generally "recruited" from the far interior.