Incognita sentence example
- - Tibet was long a terra incognita to Europeans.
- Various names are given to various parts of the land - thus the north-western part is called Cockburn Land, farther east is North Galloway; on the extreme eastern peninsula are Cumberland and Penny Lands, while the southern is called Meta Incognita; in the west is Fox Land.
- long., an extent of half a million square miles, still remained a blank in the map. But the two expeditions of 1873, conducted by William Christie Gosse (1842-1881), afterwards deputy surveyorgeneral for South Australia, and Colonel (then Major) Egerton Warburton, made a beginning in the exploration of this terra incognita west of the central telegraph route.
- Murphy, Terra incognita (1873); and F.
- The proposal to make the frontier districts into a separate province, administered by an officer of special experience, dates back to the viceroyalty of Lord Lytton, who, in a famous minute of the 22nd of April 1877, said: "I believe that our North-West Frontier presents at this moment a spectacle unique in the world; at least I know of no other spot where, after 25 years of peaceful occupation, a great civilized power has obtained so little influence over its semi-savage neighbours, and acquired so little knowledge of them, that the country within a day's ride of its most important garrison is an absolute terra incognita, and that there is absolutely no security for British life a mile or two beyond our border."Advertisement
- Some of RodrÃguez ' case-studies go some way toward exploring this question, but it pretty well remains terra incognita within terra obscura.
- It is still sort of terra incognita we have to cope with.
- This new land is shown on the extreme right of the map, disconnected from the mythical Terra Australis incognita.
- terra incognita we have to cope with.
- The symmetrically placed hypothetical islands in the great continuousocean disappeared, and the oekumene acquired a new form by the representation of the Indian Ocean as a larger Mediterranean completely cut off by land from the Atlantic. The terra incognita uniting Africa and Farther Asia was an unfortunate hypothesis which helped to retard exploration.Advertisement
- However, my big current focus is a solo original fantasy trilogy, Terra Incognita, all about sailing ships, sea monsters, and the crusades.