Impotently sentence example
- William was completely crushed; Gelderland was added to the hereditary lands of the Habsburgs, while the league of Schmalkalden impotently watched the proceedings.
- " The Kaffirs " in the opinion of Lord Glenelg, " had an ample justification for war; they had to resent, and endeavoured justly, though impotently, to avenge a series of encroachments " (despatch of the 26th of December 1835).
- Picus rejected her advances, and the goddess in her anger changed him into a woodpecker, which pecks impotently at the branches of trees, but still retains prophetic powers.
- squirm impotently when people write to ask me to recommend a Sea of Faith church in their area.
- (1700-1721), who espoused the losing Habsburg side in the War of the Spanish Succession, saw his nuncio excluded from the negotiations leading to the Peace of Utrecht, while the lay signatories disposed of Sicily in defiance of his alleged overlordship. Similarly Clement (1730-1740) looked on impotently when the sudden Bourbon conquest of Naples in the War of the Polish Succession set at nought his claims to feudal sovereignty, and established Tannucci as minister of justice, a position in which for forty-three years he regulated the relations of church and state after a method most repugnant to Rome.Advertisement
- I squirm impotently when people write to ask me to recommend a Sea of Faith church in their area.