Impaction sentence example
- If his rectum becomes blocked it could cause a serious impaction that could become life threatening.
- If the condition is more serious, the impaction may be removed via outpatient surgery while the cat is anesthetized.
- Short term use of laxatives is generally safe except in appendicitis, fecal impaction, or intestinal obstruction.
- Mechanical obstruction can also result from hernias, fecal impaction, abnormal tissue growth, the presence of foreign bodies in the intestines, or inflammatory bowel disease (Crohn's disease).
- Cerumen impaction refers to the buildup of layers of earwax within the ear canal to the point of blocking the canal and putting pressure on the eardrum.Advertisement
- Ironically, cerumen impaction is often caused by misguided attempts to remove earwax.
- Cerumen impaction develops when earwax accumulates in the inner part of the ear canal and blocks the eardrum.
- Less common causes of cerumen impaction include overproduction of earwax by the glands in the ear canal or an abnormally narrow ear canal that tends to trap the wax.
- The most important symptom of cerumen impaction is partial loss of hearing.
- In children younger than one year, cerumen impaction is sometimes discovered during a routine check-up when the doctor finds that the earwax is blocking his or her view of the eardrum.Advertisement
- The impaction does not improve after several days of treatment at home.
- Manual removal of the impaction is effective in 97 percent of children.
- If the child has repeated episodes of cerumen impaction, parents can discuss various preventive measures with the doctor.
- Retentive encopresis is most often the result of chronic constipation and fecal impaction.
- An abdominal x ray may be needed to confirm the size and position of the impaction.Advertisement
- If the pediatrician makes a diagnosis of retentive encopresis, the physician may recommend laxatives, stool softeners, or an enema to free the impaction.
- If no fecal impaction is found, the pediatrician works with a counselor or psychiatrist to analyze the variables that characterize the encopresis.
- Impaction occurs when large molecules follow the air stream and embed themselves in the fibers.