Imaginaries sentence example
- His constructions are based on the idea that the imaginaries d - 1 represent a unit line, and its reverse, perpendicular to the line on which the real units 1 are measured.
- And it is quite certain that they cannot be represented by ordinary imaginaries.
- The theorem is here referred to partly on account of its bearing on the theory of imaginaries in geometry.
- Poncelet throughout his work makes continual use of the foregoing theories of imaginaries and infinity, and also of the before-mentioned theory of reciprocal polars.
- And, assuming the above theory of geometrical imaginaries, a curve such that m of its points are situate in an arbitrary line is said to be of the order m; a curve such that n of its tangents pass through an arbitrary point is said to be of the class n; as already appearing, this notion of the order and class of a curve is, however, due to Gergonne.Advertisement
- The curve does not appear to intersect the conjugate axis, but the introduction of imaginaries permits us to regard it as cutting this axis in two unreal points.
- He did good service in systematizing the operational laws of algebra, and in throwing light upon the nature and use of imaginaries.