Ichthyornis sentence example
- In Ichthyornis it is very small.
- Of these the most interesting are Ichthyornis (= Graculavus) and Hesperornis, from the Cretaceous shales of Kansas.
- Ichthyornis, Apatornis.
- On the other hand the Odontotormae, as exemplified in Ichthyornis, having the primitive biconcave vertebrae, yet possessed the highly specialized feature of teeth in distinct sockets.
- Hesperornis too, with its keelless sternum, had aborted wings but strong legs and feet adapted for swimming, while Ichthyornis had a keeled sternum and powerful wings, but diminutive legs and feet.Advertisement
- (I) Amphicoelous; each end of the centrum is concave; this, the lowest condition, is embryonic, but was retained in Archaeopteryx and in the thoracic vertebrae of Ichthyornis.
- p. 344) a second fossil bird from the same locality was indicated as Ichthyornis dispar- from the fish-like, biconcave form of its vertebrae.