Ice-free sentence example
- The Arctic Sea presents a great contrast between the salinity of the surface of the ice-free Norwegian Sea with 35 to 35.4 and that of the Central Polar Basin, which is dominated by river water and melted ice, and has a salinity less than 25 per mille in most parts.
- These eremites also navigated the sea north of Iceland on their first arrival, and found it ice-free for one day's sail, after which they came to the ice-wall.
- Hango owes its commercial importance to the fact that it is practically the only winter ice-free port in Finland, and is thus of value both to the Finnish and the Russian sea-borne trade.
- He had concluded peace with the Porte (June 13, 1700) on very advantageous terms, in order to devote himself wholly to a war with Sweden to the end that Russia might gain her proper place on the Baltic. The possession of an ice-free seaboard was essential to her natural development; the creation of a fleet would follow inevitably upon the acquisition of such a seaboard; and she could not hope to obtain her due share of the trade and commerce of the world till she possessed both.
- In the ice-free belt, between the northern ice-sheet and the vastly extendedglaciers of the Alps, the two floras must have found a common refuge and congenial conditions of existence; and this view is confirmed by direct palaeontological evidence.Advertisement
- Korean harbours, except two or three which are closed by drift ice for some weeks in winter, are ice-free.
- Being ice-free all the year round, it has an advantage over Niuchwang, which is frozen up for four months in the year.
- Satyrus (431-387), the successor of Spartocus, established his rule over the whole district, adding Nymphaeum to his dominions and laying siege to Theodosia, which was a serious commercial rival by reason of its ice-free port and direct proximity to the cornfields of the eastern Crimea.
- wide, with a depth of 30 to 40 ft., and is ice-free throughout the year.
- localityg grounds for the birds were limited, and were confined to scattered ice-free localities.Advertisement
- We carry a large wood mallet onboard to use in breaking the ice free.
- relict areas have either remained ice-free islands (nunataks ), or were preserved under ice.
- The ships are purpose built for these ice-free waters, weaving close to the shore past magnificent coastal scenery.
- subarctic regions, changes are obvious as large areas of permafrost begin to melt and ice-free sea passages increase.
- The seizure by Russia of the Chinese fortress of Port Arthur, which she had a few years previously, in concert with other powers, compelled Japan to relinquish, was from the Russian point of view the logical outcome of her eastward expansion and her need for an ice-free harbour on the Pacific. The extension of the Trans-Siberian railway through Manchuria to Port Arthur and a large measure of influence in Manchuria followed equally naturally.Advertisement
- These relict areas have either remained ice-free islands (nunataks), or were preserved under ice.
- In the subarctic regions, changes are obvious as large areas of permafrost begin to melt and ice-free sea passages increase.