Ice-floes sentence example
- Thick clouds for the most part shut out the sun; while the cold current from the Sea of Okhotsk, aided by north-east winds, brings immense ice-floes to the east coast in summer.
- party first in a small steamer from South Georgia, then in a trawler from Montevideo, then in a little motor schooner from Punta Arenas, all of which were driven back by the ice floes near the South Shetlands, and finally in the " Yelcho," a tug from Punta Arenas, in which he reached the island on Aug.
- The seals (Pinnipedia) although capable of traversing long reaches of ocean, are less truly aquatic than the last two groups, always resorting to the land or to ice-floes for breeding.
- A baby seal being clubbed to death on the Canadian ice floes.
- These massive 20 horsepower engines, acquired from London Railways were specially adapted to use propellers in moving the ships through broken ice floes.Advertisement
- Weddell seals are seen quite frequently enjoying a snooze on the shores or on ice floes.