Ice-cap sentence example
- across the ice-cap from Thule, work was started in the neighbourhood of St.
- The ice-cap of Greenland must to some extent be considered as a viscous mass, which, by the vertical pressure in its interior, is pressed outwards and slowly flows towards the coasts, just as a mass of pitch placed on a table and left to itself will in the course of time flow outwards towards all sides.
- Over the deepest valleys of the land in the interior this ice-cap must be at least 6000 or 7000 ft.
- Modern naturalists consider that many of the problems of Australia's remarkable fauna and flora can be best explained by the following hypothesis: - The region now covered by the antarctic ice-cap was in early Tertiary times favoured by a mild climate; here lay an antarctic continent or archipelago.
- Ikermiut Puisorr)ok the great ice-cap, or inland ice, which may be asserted to cover the whole of the interior of Greenland, has been prosecuted chiefly from the west coast.Advertisement
- Only occasionally there emerge lofty rocks, isolated but not completely covered by the ice-cap; such rocks are known as nunataks (an Eskimo word).
- This ice-cap had on the tableland a thickness of 2300 to 2600 ft.
- The drainage of the interior of Greenland is thus partly given off in the solid form of icebergs, partly by the melting of the snow and ice on the surface of the ice-cap, especially near its western margin, and to some slight extent also by the melting produced on its under side by the interior heat of the earth.
- After the great ice cap had thawed and a period of general desiccation set in, the Caspian began to shrink in area, and simultaneously its connexions with the Black Sea and the Sea of Aral were severed.
- The islands are volcanic, the main geological formation being Tertiary or Jurassic basalt, which occasionally protrudes through the ice-cap in high isolated blocks near the shore.Advertisement
- de Quervain made a successful journey across the southern part of the ice-cap, travelling with the help of dog sledges from Torsukatak Fjord on Disco Bay to Angmagsalik in about 30 days.
- Antarctica is a large land mass buried under a vast ice cap and surrounded by oceans.
- This will be carried out by detailed ice cap survey; ice sheet modeling; and subglacial process.
- Some of the most reliable predictors for rain and snowfall is the current state of El Niño versus La Niña, recent climate factors and how fast the arctic ice cap is melting.