Hoes sentence example
- Van Buren married in 1807 Hannah Hoes (1782-1819), by whom he had four sons.
- All these types of plough are virtually hoes pulled through the ground, breaking but not inverting the soil.
- The autumnal subsidence of the river was followed by shallow ploughing performed by oxen yoked to clumsy wooden ploughs, the clods being afterwards levelled with wooden hoes by hand.
- Hoes also help to break up hard soil and keep it ready to soak up as much water as possible when it rains.
- Iron is smelted by the natives, who, especially amongst the Hausas, are very clever smiths, and manufacture fine lances and arrow heads, knives and swords, and also hoes.Advertisement
- The land was purchased from the Indians for 6 coats, 10 blankets, r kettle, 12 hatchets, 12 hoes, 24 knives and 12 small mirrors.
- Increasing the forward speed of the rotary hoes does not improve the level of weed control.
- In many of these crops, good weed control could be achieved using steerage hoes without the need for hand labor.
- In 1630 the Dutch West India Company granted the island to Michael Pauw as a part of his patroonship of Pavonia, and it was bought at this time from the Indians for "some duffels, kettles, axes, hoes, wampum, drilling awls, jew's harps, and divers other small wares"; but before Pauw had established a settlement upon it he sold his title back to the company.
- Ever excellent agriculturists, their implements were formerly digging sticks and hoes of turtlebone or flat oyster-shells.Advertisement
- Flint hoes (14) are common down to the XIIth Dynasty.
- Small copper hoes (Is) with a hollow socket are probably of about the XXIInd Dynasty.