Probably the first suggestion for an elevated railway was made by Colonel Stevens, of Hoboken, New Jersey, as early as 1831, when the whole art of railway construction was in its infancy.
In 1851 the township of Van Vorst, founded in 1804 between Paulus Hook and Hoboken, was annexed.
HOBOKEN, a city of Hudson county, New Jersey, U.S.A., on the Hudson river, adjoining Jersey City on the S.
In Hoboken are the piers of the North German Lloyd, the Hamburg American, the Netherlands American, the Scandinavian and the Phoenix steamship lines.
Among the city's prominent buildings are the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western station, the Hoboken Academy (1860), founded by German Americans, and the public library.
The site of Hoboken (originally "Hobocanhackingh," the place of the tobacco pipe) was occupied about 1640 as a Dutch farm, but in 1643 the stock and all the buildings except a brew-house were destroyed by the Indians.
Hoboken was incorporated as a town in 1849 and as a city in 1855.
A new enceinte, or more correctly a rampart of a less permanent character, connecting the eight forts of the inner line and extending from Wyneghem to a little south of Hoboken, was decided upon in 1908.
Part of the state, on the Hudson river, adjoining Hoboken and opposite the city of New York.
Originally a part of Hoboken and North Bergen, the township of Weehawken was separately incorporated in 1859.
As early as 1874 a tunnel under the Hudson river from Hoboken to New York had been started but abandoned because of seemingly insuperable difficulties of construction.
WEST HOBOKEN, a town of Hudson (disambiguation)|Hudson county, New Jersey, U.S.A., in the N.E.
Part of the state, adjoining Hoboken and Jersey City.
For transportation facilities the town depends upon the railways serving Hoboken and Jersey City.
West Hoboken lies about 4 m.
West Hoboken was created a separate township in 1861, from a part of the township of North Bergen, and in 1884 was incorporated as a town.
West Hoboken and Jersey City are also important producers.
The eastern terminals of the southern and western lines running from New York City are situated on the western shore of the Hudson river, in Weehawken, Hoboken or Jersey City; whence passengers and freight are carried by ferry to New York.
Jersey City and Hoboken are also connected with New York by tunnels under the Hudson river.
From Jersey City via Buffalo; the New York, Susquehanna & Western (subsidiary to the Erie), from Jersey City to Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania; the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, from Hoboken to Buffalo; the Lehigh Valley, from Jersey City to Buffalo; the Pennsylvania, from Jersey City to the S.
The chief cities in 1910 were Newark (pop. 347,469), Jersey City (267,779), Paterson (1 2 5,600), Trenton (96,815), Camden (94,538) and Hoboken (70,324).
There are industrial schools in Newark, Hoboken and Trenton, for which the state made an appropriation of $20,000 in 1908.
On the western bank of the Hudson the trading post of Hobocanhackingh, on the site of the present city of Hoboken, was established at an early date.
Hoboken, NJ 07030 (201) 656-9009oddfellowsrest.com
The restaurant is located directly across from the Hoboken PATH station.
Hoboken, NJ 07030(201) 659-7074thebrassrailnj.com Jersey Girl Jersey Girl sits right on the beach in Wildwood and is popular with locals.