Hectoring sentence example
- In its place, the voice has become chatty, and often loud, arrogant, and hectoring.
- Tho her writing is never hectoring or overtly ideological, what she found left her deeply alarmed.
- Baths, lunch-rooms, restrooms, clubs, lectures, schools and kindergartens have been supplied, and the company has also cultivated domestic pride by offering prizes for the best-kept gardens, &c. From April to July 1901 there was a strike in the already thoroughly unionized factories; complaint was made of the hectoring of union men by a certain foreman, the use in toilet-rooms of towels laundered in non-union shops (the company replied by allowing the men to supply towels themselves), the use on doors of springs not union-made (these were removed by the company), and especially the discharge of four men whom the company refused to reinstate.
- hectoring others to adopt something that for a variety of reasons is unacceptable to them.
- mortify mortified to hear my letter's hectoring presumption read back to me.Advertisement
- (3) Lastly, the degree of dependency on human goodwill attributed to the power addressed may be so great that, instead of diplomatic politeness, there is positive hectoring, with dictation, threats and abuse.
- Further, in maintaining that the powers recognized by religion are always superior to man, he leaves unclassed a host of practices that display a bargaining, or even a hectoring, spirit on the part of those addressing them (see Prayer).
- hectoring, insulting tone.