Hasting sentence example
- Later the name of Ragnar (probably Ragnar Lodbrog) appears, along with Weland, Hasting and one of the sons of Ragnar, Bjorn.
- In the years 892896 Alfred was assailed from many sides at once by viking fleets, of which the most important was that led by the great freebooter Hasting.
- Hasting's great rival, Francis, was among those who urged the superior advantages of a permanent assessment.
- We know that at the same time that some Scandinavian folk were harrying all the western lands, others were founding Garbariki (Russia) in the east; others were pressing still farther south till they came in contact with the eastern empire in Constantinople, which the northern folk knew as MikillgarOr (Mikklegard); so that when Hasting and Bjorn had sailed to Luna in the gulf of Genoa the northern folk had almost put a girdle round the Christian world.
- " James, Epistle of" in Hasting's Diet.Advertisement
- haste you not ' looking for and hasting unto the coming of the Day of God '?
- Cooke, North Semitic Inscr.,pp. 1 -14, and the articles on "Moab" in Hasting's Diet.
- No region was more often ravaged than that of the lower Loire, so rich in abbeys - St Martin of Tours, Marmoutiers, St Benedict, &c. But the country ceded to the vikings under Hasting at the Loire mouth was insignificant and not in permanent occupation.
- 859) that Ragnar's son Bjorn Ironside and Hasting made their great expedition round Spain to the Mediterranean.