Harlem sentence example
- Woods, of Colonel Thomas Knowlton (1749-1776), a patriot soldier of the War of Independence, killed at the battle of Harlem Heights.
- He enlisted in the Third Virginia regiment, in which he became a lieutenant, and subsequently took part in the battles of Harlem Heights, White Plains, Trenton (where he was wounded), Brandywine, Germantown, and Monmouth.
- Reportedly, these flashy suits were created during the 1930s in Harlem, New York, during a time when jazz music was a large part of Harlem culture.
- The New York Giants called Harlem and the Polo Grounds home for almost seventy years, and during their stay there, the early seeds of what would become the San Francisco Giants' logo began to take root.
- See Peter Scriver, Beschryvinge der Stad Harlem (Haarlem, 1628); Scheltema, Levensschets van Laurens d.Advertisement
- A skirmish, fought the next day, opposite the west front of the present Columbia University, and known as the affair of Harlem Heights, cost the British a loss of seventy of their light infantry.
- Vanderbilt in 1866 became attorney for the New York & Harlem railway, in 1869 was appointed attorney of the newly consolidated New York Central & Hudson river railway, of which he soon became a director, and in 1875 was made general counsel for the entire Vanderbilt system of railways.
- Washington prepared to withstand the British behind fortifications on Harlem Heights, but discovering that Howe was attempting to outflank him by landing troops in the rear he retreated to the mainland, leaving only a garrison at Fort Washington, and established a line of fortified camps on the hills overlooking the Bronx river as far as White Plains.
- About 16J9 a French and Dutch church was organized in Harlem.
- When we got to Jersey City at six o'clock Friday evening we were obliged to cross the Harlem River in a ferry-boat.Advertisement
- My first visit to Harlem was for a Sunday brunch.
- Of fahns filipino manong migrant farmworkers harlem in new card decks are.
- Plenty of other reviewers have commented on the offensiveness of Deaver's stereotypical portrayal of the blacks in Harlem.
- He performed on the streets of Harlem, where a pocketknife could come in handy, and preached in storefront churches.
- A short time later, the unnamed woman in Kid Rock's entourage was approached by one Harlem DeJon Akins, claiming he knew Kid's female compadre.Advertisement
- After graduating from college in New York he taught sixth grade in Spanish Harlem for years.