Handmaid sentence example
- To the church, reason is the handmaid of faith (ancilla fidei).
- Schultens was never the same as before to him; Reiske indeed was too independent, and hurt him by his open criticisms of his master's way of making Arabic mainly a handmaid of Hebrew.
- Edward had quarrelled with his wife Isabella, who complained that he made her the handmaid of the Despensers, and excluded her from her proper place and honor.
- With human anatomy thus connected with the planets, with constellations, and with single stars, medicine became an integral part of astrology, or, as we might also put it, astrology became the handmaid of medicine.
- Allenlightenment tended to lead up to the truths of Christianity, and hence knowledge of every kind not evil was its handmaid.Advertisement
- No little woman is so trifling and sordid, no handmaid so squalid, but that she gained some advantage from his death.
- And she said, Nay, my lord, thou man of God, do not lie unto thine handmaid.
- The Handmaid's Tale is one woman's story of life inside such a social structure.
- The Handmaid's Tale's heroine plots to escape to the free North (presumably Canada) but her fate is left unresolved at story's end.
- The unfortunate persons driven from their holdings and forced to seek a refuge in the towns, in England, orwhen they could afford itin the United States, carried with them everywhere the seeds of disease, the constant handmaid of famine.Advertisement
- The worship of Callisto being merged in that of the greater divinity, she became the handmaid and companion of Artemis.
- Scholasticism, while reviving philosophy as a handmaid to theology, had metamorphosed its method into one resembling that of its mistress; thus shackling the renascent intellectual 2 As the chief English casuists we may mention Perkins, Hall,.
- Undeterred by the offence which these works gave to his ecclesiastical superiors, he published in 1858 the Einleitung in die Philosophie and Grundriss der Metaphysik, in which he assailed the doctrine of Thomas Aquinas, that philosophy was the handmaid of theology.
- The rest of the northern goddesses are comparatively unimportant, and only one of them, Fulla, the handmaid of Frigg, seems to have been known on the continent.