Hair-splitting sentence example
- expresses his contempt for the ordinary school rhetorician, the hair-splitting dialecticians and their "sense of inability to speak, since they dare not even pronounce their own name for fear of expressing themselves ambiguously."
- His writings in tone and character are always alike " rich in thought and destitute of form, passionate and hair-splitting, eloquent and pithy in expression, energetic and condensed to the point of obscurity."
- The recognized books of jurisprudence, some of which run to over twenty folio volumes, are vastly learned, and occasionally show sound sense, but excel mainly in useless hair-splitting and feats of scholastic gymnastics, for which the Arabian race has a natural gift.
- Acuteness degenerates into hair-splitting and clever plays on words after the manner of the rabbins.
- To his personal characteristics can be traced the hair-splitting and formal pedantry which ever afterwards marked the activity of the school, the dry repellent technical procedure of the Dialecticians par excellence, as they were called.Advertisement
- The hair-splitting distinction of the Byzantine doctors between veneration due to images (zr poo and the adoration (irpo s,do' vns XarpEvrtK)) due to God alone, was dropped, and the utility of pictures for the illiterate emphasized.
- He loved to participate in hair-splitting theological discussions and by the measure of his own erudition, he proceeded to gage Sri Ramakrishna.
- After this decision the controversies about the Person of Christ degenerated into mere hair-splitting; and the interference of the imperial authority from time to time in the dispute was not conducive to the settlement of the questions in the interests of truth alone.