Hachures sentence example
- On the map of Germany (1:Ioo,000) a slope of 50° is shown in solid black while stippled hachures are used for gentle slopes up to 100.
- There seems to be even less chance for the combination of coloured strata and hachures proposed by K.
- Thus Horsell, who was the first to introduce tints the ground, however, was made until towards the close of the 18th century, when horizontal contours and hachures regulated according to the angle of inclination of all slopes, were adopted.
- Hachures of a rude nature first made their appearance on David Vivier's map of the environs of Paris (1674), and on Cassini's Carte de la France.
- Even though the hill hachures on the older one-inch maps are not quite satisfactory, this deficiency is in a large measure compensated for by the presence of absolutely trustworthy contours.Advertisement
- The declivities of the ground are still indicated in most topographical maps by a system of strokes or hachures, first devised by L.
- Two methods are employed to attain this: the first distinguishes the strata or layers by colours; the second indicates the varying slopes by shades or hachures.
- The hills are shown in rough hachures.
- Picard and other members of the Academy of Science whom Colbert, in 1668, directed to prepare a new map of France, for on David Vivier's map of the environs of Paris (1674, scale r: 86,400) very crude hachures bounding the rivers have been substituted for the scenographic hills of older maps.
- By this method the slopes are indicated by strokes or hachures crossing the contour lines at right angles, in the direction of flowing water, and varying in thickness according to the degree of declivity they represent (cf.Advertisement
- On the map of Germany (1:Ioo,000) a slope of 50Ã‚° is shown in solid black while stippled hachures are used for gentle slopes up to 100.