Gulf-stream sentence example
- The south west coast has a very mild climate due to the warm air of the Gulf Stream.
- One of the indirect methods of investigating currents is by taking account of the initial temperature of the current and following it by the thermometer throughout its course; hence the familiar contrast between warm and cold currents, of which the Gulf Stream and the Labrador current are types.
- For example, in the Atlantic, the Gulf Stream drives warm surface water northwards.
- By comparison with many other countries of Europe our winters are mild because of the buffering effect of the Gulf Stream and surrounding seas.
- Sweden geography Sweden enjoys a mostly temperate climate despite its northern latitude, mainly due to the Gulf Stream.Advertisement
- In the Scilly Islands the plant becomes a great tree, in the warmth and moisture from the Gulf Stream.
- The movements of the northern branch of the Gulf Stream drift have been the object of more careful and more extended study than all the other currents of the ocean put together, except, perhaps, the Gulf Stream itself.
- Where surface water is banked up against the land, as by the equatorial and Gulf Stream drift currents, it appears to penetrate to very considerable depths; the escaping stream currents are at first of great vertical thickness and part of the water at their sources has a downward movement.
- The rivers and neighbouring seas seem to be well stocked with fish, and especial mention must be made of the turtles, flying-fish, and brilliant I coral-fish which swarm in the waters warmed by the Kurosiwo current, the gulf-stream of the Pacific. Shell-fish form an important article of diet to both the Chinese and the aborigines along the coast - a species of Cyrena, a species of Tapes, Cytheraea petechiana and Modiola teres being most abundant.
- He studied with some care the temperature of the Gulf Stream.Advertisement
- Sir John Murray finds the source of the phosphoric acid to be the decomposition of large quantities of animal matter, and he illustrates this by the well-known circumstance of the death of vast shoals of fish when warm Gulf-Stream water displaces the cold current which usually extends to the American coast.