Grece sentence example
- After his return he filled various educational offices, and took his doctor's degree with two theses, Quid Vestae cultus in institutis veterum privatis publicisque valuerit and Polybe, ou la Grece conquise par les Romains (1858).
- Spon brought back many valuable treasures, coins, inscriptions and manuscripts, and in later years published various important works on archaeology, notably his Voyage d'Italie, de Dalmatie, de Grece et du Levant (1678), and a Histoire de la republique de Geneve (1680).
- The visit of the French physician Jacques Spon and the Englishman, Sir George Wheler or Wheeler (1650-1723), fortunately took place before the catastrophe of the Parthenon in 1687; Spon's Voyage d'Italie, de Dalmatie, de Grece et du Levant, which contained the first scientific description of the ruins of Athens, appeared in 1678; Wheler's Journey into Greece, in 1682.
- Barthelemy borrows his name as the title for his Anacharsis en Grece.
- Grece et Rome (Geneva, 1838); Greenidge, Roman Public Life, p. 65 foll., 102, 238 foil.Advertisement
- Barthelemy was the author of a number of learned works on antiquarian subjects, but the great work on which his fame rests is Voyage du jeune Anacharsis en Grece, vers le milieu du quatrieme siecle avant l'ere chretienne (4 vols., 1787).
- The best consecutive account is given in the Guide Joanne, Grece, ii.
- Cousin procured him a post on a government mission to the Morea in 1829, and on his return he published in 1830 a book on La Grece moderne.
- And when I am gone forth lo the Prince of Grece shall come.
- This poem gave rise to two prose romances - La Conqueste de Grece faicte par Philippe de Madien, by Perrinet du Pin, first printed in 1527, and Histoire du roi Florimond (1528).Advertisement
- Daumet, Mission archeologique de Macedoine (Paris, 1876), where there is a map of the monasteries and their surroundings; Guide-Joanne; Grece, vol.