Grandee sentence example
- In Petersburg she had enjoyed the special protection of a grandee who occupied one of the highest posts in the Empire.
- His son Paul, called the duc de Beauvillier, was several times ambassador to England; he became' chief of the council of finance in 1685, governor of the dukes of Burgundy, Anjou and Berri from 1689 to 1693, minister of state in 1691, and grandee of Spain in 1701.
- The French duke ranks in Spain with the "grandee", and vice versa.
- This stout young man was an illegitimate son of Count Bezukhov, a well-known grandee of Catherine's time who now lay dying in Moscow.
- Of this group the most striking one perhaps is N, bicolor, which has the perianth almost white and the corona deep yellow; it yields a number of varieties, some of the best known being Empress, Horsfieldi, Grandee, Ellen Willmott, Victoria, Weardale Perfection, &c. N.Advertisement
- He was styled "El pacificador de Espana," was made a grandee of the first class, and received two dukedoms.
- and other This grandee, whom the Greeks termed Chiliarch, OfficISJs.
- The senate is composed of members of three classes: (I) members by right of birth or officeprinces, nobles who possess an annual income of 60,000 pesetas (L2,400), and hold the rank of grandee (grande), a dignity conferred by the king either for life or as an hereditary honor, captains-general of the army, admirals of the navy, the patriarch of the Indies, archbishops, cardinals, the presidents of the council of state or of the Supreme Court, and other high officials, all of whom must have retained their appointments for two years; (2) members nominated by the sovereign for life; and (3) members elected three each by the 49 provinces of the kingdom, and the remainder by academies, universities, dioceses and state corporations.
- The majolica could, perhaps, have been intended to grace a Spanish grandee 's table in a conquered England.
- Pembroke Howard, lawyer and bachelor, aged almost forty, was another old Virginian grandee with proved descent from the First Families.Advertisement
- grandee panelists are now available through CEDR Solve to facilitate in high profile disputes along with other distinguished public and business figures.
- The grandee's well-known mansion on the English Quay glittered with innumerable lights.