Godwit sentence example
- Under the name godwit two perfectly distinct species of British birds were included, but that which seems to have been especially prized is known to modern ornithologists as the black-tailed godwit, Limosa aegocephala, formerly called, from its loud cry, a yarwhelp,' shrieker or barker, in the districts it inhabited.
- This godwit is a species of wide range, reaching Iceland, where it is called Jardraeka (= earthraker), in summer, and occurring numerously in India in winter.
- The black-tailed godwit, though varying a good deal in size, is constantly larger than the bar-tailed, and especially longer in the legs.
- Robin Hopper had seen two parties of 10 whimbrel on Cayton Carr along with a single black-tailed godwit.
- In winter dunlin, ringed and gray plover, redshank, knot and bar-tailed godwit all feed on the mudflats at low tide.Advertisement