Godliness sentence example
- He was remarkable for his godliness, his enthusiasm for knowledge, and his prodigious memory.
- He endeavoured to attract to his court the best scholars of Britain and Ireland, and by imperial decree (787) commanded the establishment of schools in connexion with every abbey in his realms. Peter of Pisa and Alcuin of York were his advisers, and under their care the opposition long supposed to exist between godliness and secular learning speedily disappeared.
- And then he says to godliness, verse 7, add brotherly kindness.
- The outstanding feature of his life was a transparent simplicity and saintliness of spirit, and the testimony of his contemporaries to his godliness is unanimous.
- Now remember I told you that " godliness " is a key word in the pastoral epistles.Advertisement
- Thus mutual oversight and care are among the duties of the members of Christ's body; while their collective inspiration, enabling them to " try the gifts of godliness " of specially endowed fellow-members, is the divine warrant in election to church office.
- Or are you tempted to become more strict than the Bible in a frenetic attempt to secure what you consider godliness?
- In 1850 he became vice-principal and Hebrew lecturer at St David's College, Lampeter, where he introduced muchneeded educational and financial reforms. He was appointed select preacher of Cambridge University in 1854, and preached a sermon on inspiration, afterwards published in his Rational Godliness after the Mind of Christ and the Written Voices of the Church (London, 1855).
- The church as the guide of the nation in duty and godliness, even extending its activity into state affairs as a mediator and a moderator, was not sufficient.
- Indeed, it would be hard to find anything less consonant with godliness and divine perfection than the pranks of this juvenile god; and if poets and thinkers try to explain them away by dint of allegorical interpretation, the plain man will not for all their refinements take these amusing adventures any the less au pied de la lettre.Advertisement
- From early times, detachment from the world and the practice of austerities have been regarded in India as peculiarly conducive to a spirit of godliness, and ultimately to a state of ecstatic communion with the deity.